Gloves for sanding/polishing razors

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Heljestrand23, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I've been "restoring" straight razors (sanding off rust and gunk and polishing by hand scales and blades) for the last year to varying degrees of success. I'm definitely still an amateur when it comes to restoration work. I find that when I have a 3-4 hour sanding/polishing session that first my fingers are black with metal, polish, and sand paper residues also my the pads of my fingers are sore from being sanded down:)-/). I've only had a few cuts, as I sand without protective gloves, any cut is no good... I don't know what gloves a person would wear when wet sanding either...

So, to my question! WHAT KIND OF GLOVES DO YOU GUYS USE? Please let me know where you picked them up so I can find them.

Thanks,

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl G likes this.
  2. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The problem is the gloves make you loose feeling with the sanding :( some of the guys tried "Cut" gloves back a few years but soon discarded the idea because they could no longer "Feel" the razor

For the dust and junk Nitrile's work but I found them to be too sweaty for my hands :(

Karl G, Heljestrand23 and RyX like this.
  3. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

I prefer this type. The gray backed ones tend to be pretty thin to allow feel, but definitely protect against cuts. Washable, etc.: Maxi-Flex

Karl G and Heljestrand23 like this.
  4. Heljestrand23

I've been trying out blue nitrile gloves this week. They work well, plenty of feel, but not protective from cuts at all.

Karl G likes this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Nitrile. No protection from the cuts, but as Glen mentioned, losing the 'feel' by wear thicker protective gloves inhibits the process.
    I'm all for wearing eye-protection, hearing protection and heavy apron when buffing and operating other shop tools, but for actual more delicate blade work, I need to feel the blade.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Great choice. That is what I was going to recommend. If you are sanding in such a way that you are cutting yourself consider another direction or using a foam sanding pad or foam backer like a mouse pad to protect yourself.

7. Heljestrand23

That mouse pad idea isn't half bad! I haven't cut myself recently, but I constantly cut the gloves. It better that than my skin!

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I don't wear gloves...I think I would be at greater risk of cutting myself if I was wearing gloves of any kind. As for dirty fingers I just use soap and water for cleanup.