Glycerin Based Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by jdwhitak, Nov 7, 2022.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak New Member

So, I recently decided to give brushes and soaps another go after not using them for several years. I bought a couple of soaps to try, but the one I like best is Colonel Conk. It's a glycerin based soap. Are there any other glycerin based soaps I might want to check out.

2. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

No. There are so many more options now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What others?
    @jaxstraww speaks truth, a lot of other soaps out there better, in my opinion, than Col. Conk.
    Give our own Shave Den soap a try. Made by our own Queen of Blades, JoAnna. Great soap with a ton of scents to choose from.
    Click SHOP along the banner at the top.

ChiefShaver and Frijolero like this.
  4. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

That ´s what @swarden43 said. Soaps from JoAnna are fantastic.

If the shipping to Germany would not be that expensive, i would order several soaps.

5. jdwhitak

jdwhitak New Member

I'll probably just stop at Colonel Conk. I like it and it gets the job done.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ron R like this.
  6. swarden43

@jdwhitak If all you're after is getting the job done, there ya go.
    Many of us take shave time as ME TIME, looking forward to the different scents wafting from the lather bowl, enjoying the soft swipes of the brush slathering that lather all over the face, pondering the history of that vintage razor in our hand. Shaving goes from a "have to" to a "get to".

But...it's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  7. Gasman

Gasman Active Member

Mamabear soaps are glycerin and I love it. I havent tried the one mensioned above but mamabear is one i will always have. The Rose is wonderful. It lathers super easy.

I tried the Conk years ago and it didnt even make it to shower soap.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  8. swarden43

Www.emsplace.com
    Pretty good glycerin soap, decent scent selection. Been many years since I've ordered from there, but still being in business says a lot.

9. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I liked Mamabear Soaps, they always gave me a great shave. The newer versions of Col. Conk with Shea butter added aren't too bad. It's a very usable commercial grade shave soap.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

10. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Em's doesn't advertise their business other than what's on the internet either. I learned about them about 20 year's ago. Good people to do business with. Their website hasn't changed much.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Col. Conk...
    Screenshot_20221111-203758.jpg
    All of the aforementioned soaps, yes.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg. The current strictly glycerin based (aka 'melt and pour') soaps date right back to the early days of the wet shaving renaissance; and occupy a bit of a niche market these days compared to most tallow and vegan soaps, croaps, and shave creams.

12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Ogallala bay rum is another.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  13. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

"Glycerin based" is a irrational term I see used fairly often despite virtually all shave soaps containing glycerin. I assume what you mean is either a vegetal soap or a "melt and pour". No soap, tallow or vegetal, is "based" in glycerin. Glycerin is simply a byproduct of saponification regardless of that saponification being achieved with vegetable or animal products... but I digress.

Col. Conk is a perfectly serviceable soap that is capable of doing the job. If you're content with it then that is perfectly okay. It's inexpensive and widely available. That being said, I'd also like to suggest some experimentation with other soaps available to our hobby. I've very much enjoyed my evolution from a "soap is soap" mindset to soap exploration being my favorite aspect of wet shaving. If you are interested in trying better soaps then here are just handful of vegetal soaps I can recommend without a second thought. Any one of these will run circles around a melt and pour. I'll include both affordable and top end, given you didn't specify a budget, starting with the less expensive (but still excellent) soaps at the top and some pricier stuff toward the bottom.

La Toja (stick)
    Speick (comes in stick and tub form)
    Cella extra extra bio (green)
    Haslinger
    Catie's Bubbles
    Southern Witchcraft
    Zingari Man
    Dr. Jon's
    Saponificio Varesino
    (expensive, but incredible and lasts a long, long time)

Once again, ALL of the above recommendations are vegetal soaps. NOT translucent melt and pour soaps which some people mean when they used the term "Glycerin Based".

Also, TheRazorCompany, Maggards and ShaveDash (EU) are all tried and true online sources that offer samples, in many different scents, for just a couple bucks each. They have good customer service and ship quickly.

14. Pedigree

Pedigree Active Member

I'd also add Taylor of Old Bond Street hard soaps to that list of vegetal soaps. Awesome performer for a vegan soap.

15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Mostly, I agree.

But, I had a very nice M&P soap.
    Kell's Original Ultra Aloe Blend Vanilla Bean
    It was very good, as the ones mentioned.

It was the 2013.
    https://web.archive.org/web/2013061...-Ultra-Aloe-Blend-Shaving-Soap-Cake-3-XX2.htm
    Ingredients list: (INCI)
    Description:

Frijolero likes this.