Goat's Milk Soap-Home Sweet Havoc

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Michael, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Here's an article those of you who make soaps for a living may find interesting. It was in this morning's Hartford Courant newspaper and is about one family's foray into the world of soap making. Too much goat's milk + a son with allergies = a business making and selling goat's milk soap. Sounds like their house is a wreck though! :rolleyes:

http://www.courant.com/features/home/hc-homesoap0316.artmar16,0,211789.story

2. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

This is great soap. I've tried it, and it's the creamiest, most luxurious soap I've used. It's my wife's favorite too.

3. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Excellent story Michael! I am going to print that out and put it on my fridge.. the one in the soap kitchen downstairs, not the soup kitchen upstairs.... boy has it taken over my house, I can so relate to this.

But you know, there is something wonderful about working with natural products in your own home at your own rate of speed. My house is cluttered with supplies, but it is like a toy store for me.. if I want something, I probably have it... somewhere... and buying ingredients that are all natural is incredibly satisfying to me. I don't buy anything I won't pour in my bathtub and soak in... and I do that regularly.

Between the ingredients and the fragrances, I feel like a little kid who has found her piece of heaven.. and it is right at home.

Soapmaking is one of the most satisfying things I have ever done in my life.

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Found some GoatBoy soap today (see link above). Whole Foods carries it in big "logs". Cut off what you want and pay by the pound. Lots of great sounding flavors...I got the Bay Rum! :drool

5. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I think it's only available at a few Whole Foods and only in CT. I've used the bay rum. It's very good.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

lovely story, now I have to get one of those soaps. Is there any way to get it via mail order?

7. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

Here's their web site.

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

thanks a wee bunch, Bob!

9. Will

Will Nevermind

Group Buy!!!!!!!!!

10. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

You asked, Will, and I delivered! Lisa, at Goatboy Soaps (http://www.goatboy.us/), has agreed to a 20% discount on all purchases by Shave Den members. All you have to do is enter, in the Comments section, discount code PCT20Shaving (or "Fergie sent me" for that matter) and they'll take 20% off. It's a manual process on their part so I gather the checkout will look like you're paying full price, but Lisa assures me that she'll make it happen. Ya gotta love home businesses!

They sell Bay Rum Shaving Soap with bentonite clay that she says makes it more slippery. They have more than just soap on the web site, but the soaps themselves are $5 per bar. Shipping (not discounted) is $5 per order, whether you order one bar or 20. They accept Visa and MC only (sorry, no Paypal).

She also tells me she would consider special editions. Perhaps a unique scent, additives, round bars, soap-on-a-rope, etc. She's open for other suggestions too, so if you have any, please let me know.

As for a testimonial, I have only the Bay Rum and it's quite nice (I think I'm becoming a Bay Rum junkie!). The display I saw in the local Whole Foods store had quite a variety and, while I bought only the Bay Rum, they all smelled great!

One more thing...International orders might be a bit tricky. You will still get the 20% discount, but Lisa suggested you email her prior to ordering to get a shipping charge quote.

As I mentioned before, I have no financial interest in Goatboy. I just thought they had a nice product and that some of you might be interested.

Enjoy!

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Very nice, Michael! :D

I knew there was a reason I keep you around. :rofl

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Yeah, that and the $10 Penhaligons and the GFT Coconut. Any other requests? :cool:

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I'll let you know. :p

14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Yo - welcome to the club, buddy ::

And - thanks for hookin us up with the discounts! U da man!

15. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

This has become my wife's favorite bath soap. They have some kind of tea scented soap that she uses.

16. qaswer

qaswer New Member

Thanks for the link and it is a very good review about . While searching in google i have found that we can find other manufacturers too . It is stated that "Customers with eczema, and sensitive skin love our handmade soaps". Check out their site Here

17. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

What do you know about alabu? have you tried them?

18. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

We get a discount? Great stuff, thanks, Michael! Anyone already tried their shaving soap?

19. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I didn't realize they had shaving soap until my wife told me about it yesterday. She's such an enabler. :D I've declared a moratorium on shaving soap purchases until I finish off some of my inventory, but I'm keen to try this out.

20. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

As best I can tell, the only shaving soap they have is the Bay Rum. If you search the site for bay rum, the only one that comes up is called shaving soap. If you search for shaving, the only one listed is the bay rum.