going all synthie?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Grick, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

I am seriously considering to go all synthetic. My three synthies have the softest tips imaginable. much softer than any of my silvertips. They also lather up any soap easily and above all they spread the cream much more evenly and faster while the badgers tend to push the cream back and forth making the lathering process much more of a hustle.
    Just give the Plisson Synthie or the Simpsons Chubby synthie a try and then get back to me. You won't be disappointed.

ob1page, Spud, Bill G and 6 others like this.
  2. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I'm considering it.... They have good backbone?

Bill G and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Grick

Grick Active Member

Yes, they do. Even the softest one, my Plisson L'Occitane Synthie has more backbone than the average badger. Then comes the Mühle Silvertip Fibre with backbone close to a 2-band. The Chubby Synthie though is another league. It's got more backbone than my Semogue 2-Band badger. The Plisson and the Simpson Chubby have the same latest generation ultrasoft bristles while the Mühle features slightly less soft bristles.

Bill G, Metro and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I received a L'Occitane Plisson as a gift in late 2014, and haven't looked back, haven't even considered another brush. For my technique, it's perfect, as I face lather using a shave stick or a loaded brush. Can't say enough good things about synthetic.

Bill G, macaronus, Marverel and 2 others like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have three synthetics that I work into the daily rotation. Soft, plush, no soaking —and a breeze to clean.
    I like 'em! :happy088:

6. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

its all I use now...I use the maggards one and stirlings kong...I pulled the knot in the kong and put it in a custom handle I made and love it.

Bill G likes this.
  7. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I could live with my synthetic exclusively but when I shave I just enjoying mixing things up I've got them I'll use them

Bill G and macaronus like this.
  8. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I have only one synthetic, a WD 24mm, but man I love it. Incredible soft tips, yet backbone from a good stiff boar meaning if you press on it scrubs your wiskers nicely. So it has a bit of all worlds. Whips up soaps with ease, not like the Silvertip badger that has the backbone like wet corrugated cardboard.

Love it!

[​IMG]

GatorJoe, Omelmad, KLF and 4 others like this.
  9. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

I have had quite a few synthetic brushes - sold or PIFed most of them. The Plisson for example ... great latherer, but too floppy for my taste. Same with the Chiseled Face knot. The Omega S-Brush was too springy and I didn't like the handle on the Stirling Kong (yes, I'm picky ;) )

So now I have 3 left that I like: Whipped Dog 24mm, Mühle STF 23mm and the Jayaruh #58 with a Maggard knot. They all perform very well, lather up everything from cream to hard soaps and offer a nice amount of backbone (WD and Jayaruh more than the Mühle). But as much as I like the ease of use of these synthetic brushes I still prefer the feel of a good 2-band badger.

I must admit though: the Simpson Chubby synthetic looks tempting. :)

10. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

I'm saving for a synthetic knot to replace an all but gone knot in a travel brush. Threads like this get me really excited!

drivecar.gif

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Plisson is actually from a generation prior to the Simpson and Muhle, which are rumored to be from the same source.

They are both great knots, but I much prefer the Simpson/Muhle brushes for their feel and look.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461671847.719509.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodge and clint64 like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have two synthetics in a rotation of 18 brushes. I have no problems when they come up, but I still prefer badger.

211bma, crackstar, Bill G and 2 others like this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

14. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

To each his own! I have 3 - Muhle and Frank's. Just can't get into them - lather well, but their flow-thru characteristics don't work for me. I think I would be fine if I was a bowl latherer, but face lathering I find that everything just runs right thru a synth - they don't seem to hang on to the lather sufficiently. I will stick with badger...

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am much the same way. I have 5 synthetics in a total rotation of 16 brushes. Of the synthetics, the Simpson CH2 synthetic is the most like a badger brush. Even though the fibers are reportedly the same as the Muhle STF V2, the Simpson is much more dense. I would place my brushes in order of preference, badger, synthetic and then boar.

PickledNorthern and Bill G like this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I love my synthetic brushes. They are soft on the skin, and whip up a nice lather. Use them 90% of the time.

PickledNorthern, Bill G and Robyflexx like this.
  17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I still have 8 brushes in my possession. 6 of them actually get used. 5 of those are synthetics. I already unloaded all but one of my boars (and that one is just because I haven't added it to a PIF yet). I've only tried one badger. It's TGN Super that I got in a PIF. I still use it occasionally, but I prefer my synthetics. I'll probably check out one of Larry's Silvertips at some point, just to say I've tried a decent badger brush, but other than that I have no plans to buy anything other than synths from now on.

Bill G likes this.
  18. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

I have switched to all synthetics myself... I Love the new breed of synthetic brushes no more animal hair for me.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have a couple I work in, and travel with one, but they could never replace my natural hair brushes, especially my badgers. The performance of synthetics is great, but the face feel and aesthetics just aren't at the same level of enjoyment for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

211bma and Bill G like this.
  20. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Just the opposite for me. The new generation type synthetics Plisson/Plissoft type and others blow the Badgers away for me.

The synthetics perform better and feel better on my face over any Badgers I have used, even the most expensive ones that I have tried. You approach lathering a little different but once I got that process down there was no looking back.

Happy Shaves All,
    Bill G

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    tuxxdk, macaronus and MarshalArtist like this.