Going Minimal…

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Troy M, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Long story short, after 7+years of acquiring and using a variety of new and vintage double edge razors, brushes, blades and soaps/creams, I realized that for me, it was just too much. So I started paring down my den to a manageable level for me.

[​IMG]

I sold, pif’d or gave away almost all of my hardware and now have only what you see here (minus a couple of tubes of Proraso or Bigelow creams and Old Spice bottles under the cabinet)). The main razor is the ATT Windsor. The little Merkur 3 piece was found by my son at a garage sale in Austria and the open comb Suplex is for overdue head shaves. The main brush is the white handled synthetic. The Vie Long horse brush is the first shaving item that I paid more than $40 for about 6 years ago.

I enjoy seeing all of your variety of gear and reading about your rotations and what not. But as for me, I found what works for my face and my life and it is all good.

I’ll likely find a “warmer” soap for winter time shaving and I know I’ll have some bay rum in my den when the weather cools off, but for now, I’m satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. brit

brit in a box

great simple set up Troy.i am on a similar path but it will take some time.one day..;):eatdrink047:

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I will eventually do the same in the future. Pick out a couple of razors, soaps and brushes and put the others away, which will go to a couple of Grandnephews.

4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Nice! I shave with the same razor every time. I have also planned to PIF and sell the rest but I have been postponing it just in case my children would want any of them once they begin shaving more frequently. They are 14 and they do not shave frequently yet.

awk-m4, BamaT, Lancre and 3 others like this.
  5. Troy M

All three of my sons have at least 1 DE razor they selected from my collection and a brush. They are responsible for their own software - except for the youngest who still lives with me.

awk-m4, BamaT, Lancre and 3 others like this.
  6. Bflotom2

Bflotom2 Active Member

I never had a huge collection, but pick up things here and there. Recently looked everything over and decided enough was enough. I sold off or gave away the excess. But I know as sure as it 5 o'clock somewhere... I'll start picking up things again

7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

@Troy M - Please send me your address so I can replenish your stash. :)

Congrats on thinning things out. I have been there in the past, but have accumulated a bit of stuff again over the past few years.

8. Troy M

Thanks so much ;). I still have a wee bit of Klar Kabinett you sent me a few years ago. I save it for very special shaves.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am glad you have enjoyed the Klar Kabinett, just let me know when you want some more razors. :p

Troy M and brit like this.
  10. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I'm gradually going back to minimal, Since 1963 it was just my Gillette Slim 1 soap brush and AS. At times I did try those Cartridge razors with bad results. Then I joined the Shave Den and B&B and the collecting began, but now after 50 razors and trying different soaps and blades I've brought the collecting to a halt. Selling off many of my razors, mostly vintage, will keep 8, 6 are family hand me downs. Now down to 3 soaps my goal is 2, Kilos of Cella and Vito's (trying to decide witch to make permanent) and of coarse Arko stick (shaved and bowl pressed). brushes are mostly vintage and wearing out. After Shave, As Always has been Lucky Tiger Bay Rum and I make my own AS

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Troy M like this.
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Ahhh, the old "going minimal" trap. I've stepped in it a few times but somehow shave gear seems drawn to my den. I need to thin it out again but its mainly software these days.

It is a bit liberating getting rid of all the "extra" gear though. Congrats on getting it down so low @Troy M. I hope you can keep it there. I know it is possible though, back in my cart shaving days I had one razor, one foam/brush and soap type substance, and sometimes an aftershave.

brit, Dave in KY, PanChango and 3 others like this.
  12. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

This is quite common with most hobbies. As a relative newcomer I’m making a conscious effort to resist the temptation to buy new hardware. That said the Henson AL13 has me intrigued but I’m really happy shaving with my Vintage Gillette. Truth is if it’s my only razor then I’m ok with it.

brit, Troy M and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

No matter how minimal I get, I don’t believe in getting rid of brushes. I still have my first brush that is nearly 40 years old (Surrey, lower right).
    E3E00D65-2E53-4BBA-A84C-849E0A24B8E4.jpeg

14. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Whittled down here as well.
    Under 100 razors now...99 I think, but who's counting? ;)

15. Glondus

Glondus Well-Known Member

when i started wet shaving i had no idea how long a bowl of proraso will last, so i stocked about 5 of them (+ one green and one red i am using :D ) then i wanted to try different soaps and creams again i had no idea how long they will last. with my rotation i learned that one bowl of proraso will last 12month for me. as in 6 months i only used half bowl. with this logic in 7+ years i will send a similar message saying that i have a small den :D
    beginners should try different soaps to experiment, but i would love to use one soap for winter, one for summer and one for the both season :)

happy shaves

16. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

A big part of the motivation of the Proraso Challenge is that it forces me to finish the products I have before I buy new ones :)
    Paul D

battle.munky, Ksblazer, brit and 2 others like this.
  17. Troy M

Not sure it is a "trap" for me. Since I've tried so many different ones over the years, it feels good to have the "One" razor I was looking for in the ATT Windsor.

I hope you can survive! ;)

One soap per season - admirable goal!

I went a little overboard and I think I have 6 tubes of Proraso or Bigelow creams. I have maybe 6 hard soaps left in the magic shoebox and will pull some of them out when or if it ever cools off around here.

18. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to trying the Proraso tubes, particularly the blue. I must resist to complete this challenge. :)
    As for DE razors I started with the Wilkinson Sword TTO when I just happened to see them in one of local pharmacies. I thought it was the coolest thing until one day I searched for DE razors on the Internet. Next up was the Muhle R89 twist followed by a Merkur 34c. The truth is I think they're all fine razors but the vintage 195 is my favorite. I've used it almost exclusively over the last few months and the best way I can describe it is that it just feels right.
    Paul D

brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and Troy M like this.
  19. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Good on you for making the decision to go minimal. I, too, have made the decision that by 2030 I will reduce my hardware and software to pre-2005 levels.

battle.munky and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

passed along near 40 razors over the last few months,a few soaps as well.still ongoing but slowly..;)

awk-m4 and PanChango like this.