Going to Birmingham, UK

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Bussemand, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Seems my daughter and i are going to Birmingham for 3 weeks soon, and i'm wondering what shops to look for?
    (Want to buy loads of shave creams/soaps)
    Any UK residents know?

2. Peders

Peders Member

Well if you're in Birmingham for 3 weeks, then why not have a trip into London?:)

3. Bussemand

We'll be staying at the Childrens Hospital and i don't think we're supposed to sneak off to London :D

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nothing serious I hope. :)

5. Bussemand

A lot of testing to find out if the little one should have an intestine transplant or continue as is with some kind of medicinal treatment. Birmingham Childrens Hospital has experience with intestine transplants in children - as opposed to the experts here in Denmark.

6. Queen of Blades

Oh wow! Thoughts and prayers to you and your little one!

7. Bussemand

Thanks JoAnna!

8. PeterS

PeterS Member

I would say take a day out if at all possible and visit London. Even extend your trip if you have to. T&H, Penhaligons, Floris, DR Harris, Trumpers, Taylors are all in the same area. Just head for Jermyn Street.

I've never heard of anything in Birmingham but you may find something there that the locals know about. There is also a lot of good and cheap stuff to be had in supermarkets and independent chemists.

This must be a great time to visit the UK with the hammering that the pound is taking.

Hope everything goes well at the hospital.

cheers

Pete

9. Bussemand

Thanks for the info Pete.
    I don't know about England, but when my daughter is in the hospital here, it costs about 1000 euros a day and i don't think Danish NHS is paying for a day off to London :D
    Danish NHS also pays and arranges the trip to Birmingham and back so those dates can't be changed unless the hospital decide to extend our stay.
    I expect us to be able to get out for a walk once in a while and that's it.

Aren't there chains of men's grooming shops, carrying most of the brands you mentioned, that i might find?

The pound exchange rate is very favourable right now :D:D:D

10. JimR

JimR Active Member

Best wishes to you and your whole family; I can't imagine how scary it mush be to have a child in such a state.

As far as England goes, I know that regular chemists tend to carry much mroe selection that the states or Japan--no idea about Denmark. Some chemists carry Tabac, and there's always Ingrams and Palmolive and the like.

11. PeterS

PeterS Member

OK I understand. Outside of London most cities will have stores like House of Fraser, L'Occitane, Crabtree & Evelyn (you can also try asking at these places if there are any other good shops nearby)
    For example Looking at Floris stockists
    http://www.florislondon.com/Floris_Shops_+_Stockists.aspx?langID=1&itemID=SPG41
    there is Rackhams (House of Fraser) in Birmingham.

Try any chemists you see as well, it's surprising some of the things you find there.

Pity you can't make a trip to London.:(

Good luck and cheers

Pete

12. Bussemand

Thanks guys!!!

13. PeterS

PeterS Member

Also if you see a T K Maxx store have a look. They dont have regular stock but seem to sell end of line and old stock at very cheap prices. I have seen Taylors and others for sale there, although sometimes they have nothing!

cheers

Pete

14. Bussemand

I did a little research and found out the hospital is near a shopping centre called Bullring witch has a TK Maxx store.
    The hospital is located in the center of Birmingham, i think, so i might be in walking dinstance of a lot of shops :D

Thanks again Pete!

15. Bussemand

Trip postponed until late February...
    Some poor kid needed the bed more than my daughter :sad024

16. Queen of Blades

:(

Sorry to hear that, Gisle.

17. Bussemand

We're back again...

The outcome of our trip to Birmingham and my daughters transplant assessment were pretty poor :mad:

Basically i can choose between not letting my daughter have a transplant (even if the would let her - they haven't decided yet because it would be a high risk operation due to her health), and she would have a couple of years to live before major health issues would start killing her - Or i can choose the operation and risk her not surviving it or die from complications in the following year...
    In other words - life stinks :prrr

Regarding shaving stuff:
    We made sure to get out of the hospital and go for a long walk on most days, and would you believe that in Birmingham - the second most populated British city after London, i only managed to find (besides all the canned goo stuff) a tube of Ingrams, a tub of Proraso and an anonymous bar of shaving soap... :eek:

Anyways, i've not been on TSD much the last couple of months and will probably only stop by once in a while in the future. TSD is a great forum (most of the time :sleep001) and i have enjoyed the information and help found here and will continue to do so from time to time in the future :D

P.S. If i seem a little nonchalant about my daughters illness...we have been living with it since she was born (2 1/2 years) and i can't afford to sit and cry every time there's bad news - I would have been completely unable to care for her, and it's just me and her living together in this crazy Gillette world :D (the anti-depressants probably help a bit as well).

See you guys and Queen around :signs107