Going to open up a can of worms

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by RetLEO-07, Jul 19, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

For the past week and a half I have been auditioning blades for my 1911 Gillette OLD. I have scored more BBS shaves in this week and a half than probably the last 3 months. Now I've been strictly DE shaving since 4/16. And all that time I've been hearing that a Straight Razor shave is the closest you get.
    (Here it comes) I beg to differ.
    I would stack my BBS shaves up against a SR shave any day. I understand that the angle is different and that is why a SR shave is closer. But is it really?
    I submit that the BBS you get with your straight and I get with my OLD is just as close. Sure, you're shaving with a naked blade and I have a cap and baseplate. At the end of the day, that BBS at 0600 is starting to sprout, for me at least by about 1230-1300. You may last a tad longer but it still starts to sprout.
    :scared003: That's my opinion. Feel free to show me I'm incorrect.

RaZorBurn123, Keithmax and George X like this.
  2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have been at it for about 7 years and what I have come to learn is that it doesn't much matter the tool you use. As long as you enjoy using it and know how to get the most out of it, you will get a good shave. There are many paths to the same destination. Enjoy.

3. George X

George X Well-Known Member

The old types are phenomenal shavers that part I won't argue. My momma taught me if I have nothing good to say I shouldn't say it...but I have to say this about your can of worms you opened up...I don't like worms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My bbs takes 6 hours longer to grow out with a straight. This is empirical evidence that it was cut closer than DE in my mind. Straights are more gentle. That's the real advantage in my mind. But, I disagree, your DE bbs probably isn't as close as expert SR.

Here's the can of worms... You won't know the answer until you learn SR for yourself....

5. Bama Samurai

6. RetLEO-07

I knew the road would lead here :)
    No.

RaZorBurn123 and mrchick like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like gummy worms.
    zBABY.jpg

8. RetLEO-07

I can appreciate that.

RaZorBurn123 and mrchick like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

10. Bama Samurai

The good news I say though....if you are happy with the OLD, go for it! Results are everything.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1
    Goes for almost every aspect of wet shaving "discovery"

DaltonGang, RaZorBurn123 and George X like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I also stand with Bama on this. I've run the gamut on razors, therefore I speak fro my own experience; My shaves are closer and more comfortable with a straight. My injectors also provided me a closer more comfortable shave than any of my de's.
    Maybe you'll have to open up a can of crow.

13. RetLEO-07

OLD/NEW rotation is the way I'm leaning.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No argument here. Use whatever gets you the best results: de razors, straights, carts, Brazilian wax....:p

I
    used to get BBS shaves regularly with my R41 & feather blade combo. This was back when I used to strive for BBS shaves daily. I'd occasionally get those 'tender spots' on the throat and neck, post-shave with some aftershave burn. One of the reasons I switched to SRs was not only for the new challenge, but I found I've never gotten any of the skin rash with close shaves that often occurred with close DE shaves.

Since I no longer strive for BBS results (3 passes and some touch-up suffice and gets me darn near close), I'm content with a DFS most mornings.

Primotenore and SharptoothC like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Why do you think that is? Is it just because you're not trying to get as close as you could with a DE?

16. RetLEO-07

Hmmm, Brazilian wax, why didn't I think of that.....anyway, I digress. As an every day shaver I never really shoot for BBS shaves. Acceptable for work is the goal. BBS or DFS is a bonus. And with the OLD I've been in the bonus more often than not.

SharptoothC likes this.
  17. RetLEO-07

Nah, I think I'll go straight to tuna fish.

18. Bama Samurai

For me it's attack angle.

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Not even a cool looking shavette?
    [​IMG]
    I'm even temped, but mine would have to be ...
    [​IMG]

Primotenore likes this.
  20. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Let me ask you this...

Have you ever heard of anyone going into a store to buy a can of worms? Even bait and tackle shops sell them in bags!
    Back to razors. When learning SR shaving, my DE, SE and injector razors gave me much better shaves. With experience, I did get better at SR shaving and can get a BBS with a properly honed SR.

The dark side is calling @RetLEO-07 !

RaZorBurn123, Keithmax and mrchick like this.