Gold Aristocrat and a Super

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Mar 31, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I grabbed one at a thrift store not to long ago. There were pictures in another thread. Would this be considered an aggressive razor or a mild one? Any blade suggestions (I have a very tough beard)? Also, what is under the "gold" plating? The middle of the doors have a darker, rainbow-ey copper-ey look to them, but the rest of the razor is in excellent condition.

While I'm at it, I also have a O-2 date code super adjustable. The things got one hell of a long handle. Did these come in short and long handle versions? After using a couple adjustables I'm not a huge fan (except for the fatboy). May just sell it....

2. The black handles adjustables do come in a shorter version. Lots of folks seem to like the LH one though.

3. JayKay

So I gave the aristocrat a try with a treet black beauty carbon blade and I have to say, it was one of the best, smoothest, most irritation-free shave I have had. It was deffinetly very aggressive and by the last pass my face was feeling slightly raw, but it was a great shave none the less. I also gave it a try with my T&H trials I had and they were great as well. The unscented deffinetly has a scent, and its great. A sweet citris.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like your enjoying the Aristocrat, JayKay............:happy088

Sorry, I can't answer any of your questions. I'm not a razor expert. :ashamed001

Do try the Super Adjustable before selling it though. It's a great razor, at least the one I have is.

5. Luxlover

Luxlover Member

I just aquired an Aristocrat with No Date and a notched bar in very excellent condition.
    It only has the very slightest indication of use. Extremely shiny and no scratches.
    I have to say that I like how it shaves so much it might push my Slim-adjustable down to my second favorite shaver.

"The Gillette Aristocrat" -A Great Razor.

Steve

6. JayKay

Absolutely. I must say that I'm just not a slim fan. I think I'll PIF to a noob. I need to figure out what is with the top of my razor. So far I've only tried the aristocrat with one blade but it was a wonderfuly close shave. I love my fatboy with the sputnik blade (only one ive tried in it so far), my SS with an astra blade, and my HD with Wilkinson swords. I'm not sure what a notched bar is but if it's the horrizontal lines going down the guard, than I to have one. no date code. A wonderful razor.

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Simmah down now !

JK:
    Dont drop the Slim.......yet.
    Voice of experience here, doncha know ;)
    Put her aside and come back later when things have calmed down a bit.
    There are so many variables involved with an adjustible and I really feel if you give the Slim a chance you will find a combo that works for you.
    Different blade, different setting........hang in there. Its a great razor.

8. JayKay

Ooooopppsss, just posted it as a PIF for a noob in the classifieds. But I've also got a fat-boy and a super adjustable. If I would find just a few razors with one blade I love in each, I'd be extremely happy. Sometimes it starts to feel overwhelming trying the 20+ brands of blades I have in all my different razors trying to find a combo I like. I'm at the point where I just want to find a few blades I live and a few razors I love.

9. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

the rainbow finish may be the lacquer. on some of the gold razors i had, this was noticeable. i noted it most on the gold milord handle... a bit of very gentle scrubbing with soft scrub remedied the situation. i imagine i removed the lacquer but a shiny gold handle was the result. i think under the gold is a nickel finish but i am unsure. stay away from the MAAS metal polish on the gold razors!

s~s

10. rick

I feel your pain, brutha
    This is a journey we're on and it aint an easy one.
    Patience and perseverence......and a lot of trial and error ;)
    For me:
    Derbys and Feathers.
    Never thought I would ever find a need to use a Feather but in the right razor it is awesome.
    I really like the Derby in my Slim and RedTipped SS razors and, of course, the 1950-ish SS + Feather combo is my personal fave.

11. JayKay

Hmmm. I tried feathers in my tech a few nights ago and they left my face raw, and with random nicks. I just cant take it any more. I should give my derbys a try in another razor because I didnt like them in my SS.

SS+Astras are my favorite blade razor combo. I get a bbs shave without going atg. Its the only razor I've had that with so far. Everything else is close, but not queit.

12. rick

Try a shave with a Derby in your Slim set at "9".
    Do NOT use an ATG pass.
    N-S WTG and XTG passes only
    Tell us what you think of that shave.

The more I practice, the luckier I get.
    .....................................Ben Hogan (I think ;))

13. JayKay

Wow. Feather. Slim at a 9? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. But none the less, I'll give it a try.

14. rick

NOPE !

Derby + Slim
    Set to "9" and N-S passes only.
    Dont let me catch you going ATG :mad:

This gets me very smooth with no irritation whatsoever.
    ATG is only for "date night" and I always take the next day off the razor ;)

15. JayKay

Ooops, my mistake. Good thing I looked back or I'd be missing several pieces of my face. I never go against the grain. No matter what combo I've used its always left my face completely raw. Some with the gillette crap-3s and the single blade bics. I've got sensitive skin.

16. rick

Well,
    since you're sensitive.......
    avoid the XTG pass as well.
    N-S WTG only and see how you do.
    No pressure and focus on your prep and razor angle.
    1 pass may be all you need.

17. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

good thing you checked back - a feather at 9!!! yikes!

s~s

18. JayKay

I've got my work set out for me tonight. :happy005