Gold Dollar

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Vlasta, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    What is the best Gold Dollar razor model to buy. Also I see them from many vendors on Aliexpress are they are ultimately from the same factory?

I want to practice my honing and need some cheap razors to start on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Its hard to say. They are inconsistent. One will be terrible, and the next is horrible.

SevenEighth and Dansco like this.
  3. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    yeah I get that they are kind of crap but I only want tow things out of them 1. Practice honing and 2. Make sure they are "real" Gold Dollars.

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

They are not the best to learning honing on because they tend to have issues that need to be corrected, the stabilizer on the heel and the spines can be too thick. Some also have wavy spines. On the positive side, they are cheap and the steel is usually good.

To learn it is best to start with razors that do not issues that need correction.

5. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    You mean but a bunch of cheap secondhand ones?

SevenEighth likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Yes, just look for excessive hone wear on the spine, wavy bevels and the like. You will find much easier to learn to hone on them.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Like this one. I found it in an antiques shop for $10 and it honed up beautifully. No corrections or honing gymnastics needed. It’s easier than trying to correct a blade with poor geometry. Just make sure you find one without a bunch of hone wear.
    [​IMG]