Gold flake on spine work

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by TestDepth, Mar 25, 2018.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I have a few razors with some nice spine work. This Kabeso is my test bed before I try this on one that I really want to get right.

Nice razor - slight hone wear and narrower toe, with gold wash on the blade face getting close to end of life. Taped that off and hit most of the razor with 0000 steel wool and Flitz. Used a dental pick to clean up the spine work and got it to this:
    00379AA9-6F86-4468-BE8A-3801FE3747D5.jpeg
    Pulled out a Krylon 18k gold flake pen, applied along entire spine, and wiped away excess with TP. Seemed to go okay:
    0CF16C8C-469F-42C6-9AA7-048437BA21E1.jpeg
    Feeling good, I said of course the tang stamp needs to be in gold:).
    6F6CC114-B9B4-4B0A-A43E-9D19C02A6FD9.jpeg
    I think it looks much better than before, just not sure of longevity. But it was so simple to do, it probably doesn’t matter. Anyone have experience on how this may turn out? Any suggestions on a next step, if one exists?
    717AFC52-7C83-4FAF-8C60-2BAA301BECD1.jpeg
    Have fun. Tom.

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Looks great. I hope it lasts. I might do the same, to a few of mine, if it does.

TestDepth likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I don't know if it's still available, but years ago there was a kit to inlay engravings on firearms with gold or silver. It was like a two or three step process. I tried it on a couple of mine and they lasted a few years before needing touch up.

Keithmax, TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  4. TestDepth

I’ll let you know how it goes Scott. Not sure how thorough I was getting some of the old stuff out of the crevices but it was getting tedious.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. TestDepth

Jim, if you happen to remember the name please post. This is definitely a cheap gold flake pen so I don’t have high expectations:).

jimjo1031 likes this.
  6. jimjo1031

Keithmax, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  7. TestDepth

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. jimjo1031

Maybe you could try putting on a couple of clear coats to see if it'll last. The same technique as repainting the numbers on Gillette adjustable razors.

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  9. Kraken98

Kraken98 Well-Known Member

Rub-n-buff would likely work really well. and if not hobby lobby and other craft stores also have traditional gold leafing kits.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

TestDepth and Keithmax like this.
  10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Cool, I will be watching to see how it works out.

TestDepth likes this.