Golf Club Advice Needed...

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by jwr0201, Apr 1, 2015.

1. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

I am a late 50- something returning to the game after more than a decade hiatus and am ready for a next set of clubs. I currently have a set of Tommy Armour 845's that are ok, but I'm looking to move up to a nice, pre-owned set of forgiving oversize irons. Need advice on what models would be worth looking at. I don't want to buy new right now, as I know that in a year, my game should improve enough to get that reward! Suggestions?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. troy_gies

troy_gies Active Member

Adams. I have Adams a12os (2013/2014) model. I am a high handicapper/recreational golfer and they are very forgiving and very reasonably priced. The new model is called "Ideas" I believe. But Adams hybrid of any kind is great. Just remember, the more forgiving -- the less "finese" you can play (e.g. punch shot or green side chips with a 5 iron) but otherwise Adams are the best clubs out there. IMHO

3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

These are made across the street from my office.

Aren't you a better person for having read that?

4. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

Adam's or Callaway's for forgiving clubs.

5. troy_gies

troy_gies Active Member

By the way. If you are returning to the game. You want forgiving clubs now. You can reward yourself with "better" clubs later. I made the mistake of playing with a gifted set of Ping Eye II which were too much club for me and my game suffered (suffers) because of that. Get a used set or prior year model now. IMHO.

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet there're dozen golf shops nearby with a friendly staff to help you. Say Golfsmith or PGA Superstore? They sell new and used and can fit you as well.

Of course 845s were pretty good clubs, I'd probably stick with them for a few rounds and make sure you really want to take it back up. I Used to play at golf but now I think it's a beating. Total day killer.

jwr0201 and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The difference between newer golf clubs is not very much. What they look like to you is important. What you need to do is get some lessons and get your swing tuned up. Sam Snead played with the worst clubs anyone had seen during his time according to Arnold Palmer, Jack Nickolas, Lee Trevino, however, he had the best swing anyone had then and now. It's the swing... You can take that to the bank,:)

jwr0201 likes this.
  8. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

Great advice all. Took lessons when I started and after only 10, for a nasty slice straightened out, never to return. A battery of a dozen or so lessons would do a lot. After I get to the 70% point (70% acceptable shots), I'll do that. Right now, I am a ways from that. Think I forgot more than I had ever learned. At least I'm still hitting the ball straight - most of the time!

Douglas Carey and troy_gies like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent, good golfing.

17th Mapleview.jpg