Good, economical razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Hwyhogg, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hwyhogg

Hwyhogg New Member

Hi all, new to wet shaving. I started using a 1956 Gillette safety speed DE. (I'm partial to '56 as I'm working on a 1956 ford panel truck). I was actually looking into straight razors when I got sidetracked with DEs. My question is what would be a good vintage to start out with for around $30 ? Brand wise are there any to stay away from?
    Thanks for answering this broad question,
    James

2. Cavere

Cavere Active Member

Starting out I think the Best way to go is through Larry at whippeddog.com I believe it's $55 and he sends you a restored vintage razor, a strop and a balsa wood strop. It's a great deal and he's very informative.

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Gem Star also has some really good deals aswell....Take a look​

Glen is a true artist...I'm a big fan....
    His "Damn Fine Shaver" series has some for $39...that sounds in your range....and he's a member here so I'm sure if you ask him about a razor he'll give you 'real advice and help in deciding what to do....

I've only heard good things about Larry......Check out both of their inventories....and ask both about the razors you're looking at....I'm sure you'll end up finding something to love...:love055:

4. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

If you are looking for a straight razor on a budget, I'd second the recommendation of Larry at whippeddog.com. Gem Star Customs do great work, but Larry really aims for the budget-minded newbie.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I can say I've worked with Glen at GemStar Customs. Great guy who does some great work.
    I can also say I've never dealt with Larry at Whippeddog, but all I've heard has been good.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You won't find one. Not for that price. At least not honed and made shave ready by a pro. For your first straight, you really, really want a professionally honed straight.
    This. You will botch up your first strop. Everyone does. We didn't grow up watching our fathers and our barbers strop razors. In many ways that is a serious handicap for beginners. You will learn, but you should learn on a cheap strop at first. Larry's razors come shave ready.
    As a general rule of thumb, stay away from razors that are new and under $20. Chances are they are really knives that "look" like razors. Damascus steel razors that are priced under $100 are no-no's too. Pakastani and Chinese razors should be avoided. (With the exception of Gold Dollar razors, which should be bought 4 to 6 at a time in the hopes of finding one or two decent ones to hone to shave readiness and to practice honing.) Any new razor and most used razors are not sold "shave ready" whatever the vendor might claim. The only exception are razors sold by honemiesters, like Lynn, Glen and Larry. There are perhaps 10 others with good reputations on the forums, scattered around the world.

7. Hwyhogg

Hwyhogg New Member

Thanks for the responses. I will look into the places/names you guys have mentioned,after all, that's why I joined this site--to gain knowledge. Thanks again

8. BossManBill

BossManBill Well-Known Member

I got one from Larry at whipped dog. I did the "sight unseen deal", but asked if he had any 6/8 with blond scales. He MORE than accommodated me. I can't say enough. He's a pro.

PLANofMAN likes this.