Good strop bad strop!!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jason koonce, Oct 5, 2018.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

hey everyone I am shopping around looking for my first strop!!! Where does everyone get theirs? What are some good ones and what should I stay away from ?

Keithmax likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ebay, Maggards, Whipped Dog, Amazon are choices. Just remember, your first strop will probably get chewed up some, so don't go real expensive. Illinois strops, 127 and 827, are very good, and not expensive. I still use my Illinois 827 every day.

Keithmax, AGHisBBS, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  3. jason koonce

Awesome thank you I will check out the Illinois strops

Keithmax likes this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The Illinois strop was my first and was of good quality. My stropping technique wasn't though. RIP strop.

5. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

For a beginner strop I would also recommend an Illinois strop. They area good quality and a good price. Lay it flat on a table at first to help to get the motion down without having to worry about proper tension or as much risk of nicking it. I still use an Illinois 206 and also a bridle leather paddle strop.

jason koonce and Keithmax like this.
  6. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I found a used Illinois horse hide and linen strop. Yes, I nicked it a couple of times, but nothing bad.

Paul76 likes this.
  7. jason koonce

maybe that would be my best option find a used strop somewhere and get a new one after I get the hang of things.

mrchick likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

Naa, get an Illinois Strop. They are inexpensive enough. Just go slow, at first, then muscle memory will kick in. Used strops are not much cheaper.

Steve56, M14Shooter and jason koonce like this.
  9. jason koonce

ok well that info will help cut down the research time lol.

10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

+1 @DaltonGang, avoid the eBay used strops, they're usually priced way too high and many will be dry and need weeks or months of rejuvenation to be usable. If you need some cool vintage hardware though, look for the $10 strops that are completely shot but have good hardware. Don’t get a Chinese strop, Illinois is fine and not expensive. When you learn to steop well, look at the Kanoyama line at AFrames Tokyo or Fendrihan.

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax and jason koonce like this.
  11. Edward Brice

Edward Brice Active Member

The scrupleworks strops are great love mine

jason koonce and Keithmax like this.
  12. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Ed is telling the truth however not for a first strop. I did not spend a lot on my first strop and I’m happy I didn’t. It did not have a long life. I know there are some that never nicked a strop, but I’m not in that group.

13. Edward Brice

Edward Brice Active Member

Yeah tell me about it I think I had the sandpaper out trying to sand the nicks out of my first couple of strops more than actual stropping!!.

14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011:

And :signs011: too

RezDog and jason koonce like this.
  15. Chuck Naill

I don't nick mine anymore after the first time.

16. DaltonGang

When you say that, it brings on "Bad JuJu". Now you're going to nick the heck out of your strop. :happy102:

Paul76, Keithmax and jason koonce like this.
  17. jason koonce

So I talked to my grandfather he’s been a barber since I can remember. 96 and still cuttin hair and handling a SR. Hopefully he will be able to get an extra set of his barber strops sent out to me.

18. DaltonGang

Have you asked if he has any Straights that you can use???

Keithmax, Paul76 and SevenEighth like this.
  19. jason koonce

He showed me his collection. Probably about 30 + all different types. But he’s holding onto them said they will all be mine but I will wait as long as possible

20. Chuck Naill

Well, still no more nicks.

jason koonce, Keithmax and Paul76 like this.