Goodwill Hunting

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HolyRollah, Jun 27, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

After having a very pleasant shaving experience with my first open-comb razor (an old beat-up NEW razor I've partially resurrected), I've begun a quest to try another vintage open-comb.

The old New, before & after (Plan to replate in either chrome or nickel)
    [​IMG]

I just acquired via ebay another open-comb vintage Gillette razor, this one in considerably better condition than the New shown above. This one is described as, "...a Goodwill #175 Longcomb; a standard Goodwill guard and #160 cap. Often found with ball-tip handle, or the NEW Gillette handle. Year produced 1931."

Per my own research, I've discovered the Goodwill has a rather 'mutt-like' history in that Gillette used a number of parts from the New (base plate & handle) to create the variations found on this unique razor.

Historical background and origins aside, I'm looking forward to trying this razor. Most of the shave reviews I've read on this open-comb model have been positive. So for the $22 I've invested, we'll see how she does. It should arrive in a few days.

I'd love to hear from others & get your opinions who have tried this razor or a similar variation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan Miller

Bryan Miller Active Member

I almost bid against you lol. nice lookin razor you got there! :)

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

New 'old' razor arrived today. The razor overall (finish & fit) looks to be in VERY good shape (I'm always a bit leery of products bought off ebay, anticipating something 'undisclosed' in the auction).
    I compared it to a couple of the older razors I currently use: the open-comb New and Tech. Both of those models have slightly larger handles and weigh a bit more than this Goodwill model. The Goodwill is certainly in far better condition than my New was when I first obtained it. Beefier head with longer teeth ('LongComb') on the Goodwill, and thus, feels a bit more top-heavy than the other 2 razors.

I'll give it a test-drive once I do some additional sanitization & clean up (previous owner left bits of white polish/gunk between the combs' teeth).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Woodekt

Woodekt Well-Known Member

LOVE that "goodwill" comb of yours, vs the "bar handle" comb (looks wise). I wonder about the different Combs on yours. Never knew there were that big of differences in combs. Which would give a more/less aggressive shave?

I kinda went out on a limb and bought my first "open comb" yesterday. Ive never shaved with a "comb" at all, so this may be a real test for me.

Dont know if what I bought is a 1920s or a 1960s, but I got it for less than $20 bucks so I thought I'd give it go.

I REALLY want an OLD school razor for my collection like what you have, and will probably use this one as a test. I'd like to have a decent one to send out and have it finshed in Rhodium.

Heres my "test (below). If its a failure, no harm - No fowl. But it would be cool to get a decent shave, and have an "open comb" sitting in my shower though. If its a piece of crap, Ill toss it. I dont expect much. ANY cracks in the handle, and I'll overhand chuck it in the garbage can REAL fast. I really want something nice. Have any of your "older" ones been re-finished?

Do you think its worth having an open comb re-finished? I dont think I've ever seen anyone do it or have seen one re-finished , for sale. The one I bought may not even be a candidate.

THANKS for the Info!

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Your's looks to be a Gillette Old Type Ball end DE razor, which to my understanding, seems to be very prone to cracks/splits in both the neck and handle. more importantly, I've heard it said that due to the very low cutting blade angle (about 18° vs modern 25°)) and larger blade exposure, they're a bit less forgiving than later models. Razor/Blade angle is critical (good shaving technique) when shaving with one, so I have read. Post your results!
    The pre-war longcombs, like the Goodwill, can also be fairly aggressive with regards to blade exposure, but the angle is more forgiving.
    I'll let you know for sure once I give it a go!

6. Woodekt

Ahh. Gotcha! Thanks.

It would be interesting to see the blade exposure in these old guys. So you're saying the thicker, more bent combs are more forgiving? I would think the opposite. The more bent - the more exposure. But then again...Ive never even held one.

Thanks again!

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I find the open-comb NEW razor (shown above in brass & copper with the big BAR handle) to be an extremely forgiving razor that provides an exceptional shave. My hope is the Goodwill will provide something comparable both in ease of use AND smoooth results! ;) The closed-comb Tech is also an excellent razor!
    Some discussion here on the open comb vs closed razors: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/open-comb-vs-closed-bar-razor.27140/

Dansco and Woodekt like this.
  8. Woodekt

Holy,
    Quick Question - Who do you suggest does the best plating? Im getting a 60 fatboy done at Razor Emporium, but I have a Fat Tech (ironically) that Id like done also, and if there is someone that can do a good job as well (especially if they are quicker) why not ? Id like it in Rhodium. Just LOVE that look.

Thanks!

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Rhodium is the choice for the money if you want durability & a sharp finish. It'll run you more $$, but folks who have had it done seem to be happy with the results.
    For me, I need to be sure I love that particular razor before I make that large an investment as one can take a hit on resale.
    The New OC (currently brass & copper) will be getting either chrome or nickel.

10. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have 2 Goodwill razors !

[​IMG]

Here is one with an insert in the handle.

Enrico and HolyRollah like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So how do you like 'em? I'm assuming you in fact DO, as you've two.
    I had my first shave with it yesterday. Very forgiving; not overly aggressive—but I paid special attention to proper angle to minimize 'rake' tracks in the lather.
    Close shave. :)

12. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I want to taste all the designs of Gillette
    They are not so aggressive as other DE's,it's something different and i use them from time to time with pleasure.

13. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I love my New Long Comb. Mine is replated in nickel by a guy in Slovenia (I think?!)
    20180523_174401_1527094052540-2186x1639.jpg

Attached Files:

brit, gorgo2 and DaltonGang like this.
  14. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Haha I totally hadn't realised how old it was!!

Wondered where it had gone yesterday morning :happy097:

DaltonGang likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

That's a beauty. I had one replated, in bright nickel, that my son used, years back. I later gave him a New looking Gillette Fatboy. He uses it exclusively, when he isn't letting his patchy whiskers grow out.
    Too bad those Gold Washed Gillette's plating came off so easily. Good thing is you can pick up a nice one for 15-20 dollars, on eBay, without a lot of plating loss.
    Funny thing, Gillette and AOS stores have been putting out teasers about remaking these, and them costing much more than what it would cost to replate and buy a vintage one.
    I had mine replated by Chris, at www.razorplate.com , several years ago.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Old thread...
    All my razors in this thread (posted 2013) are long gone. :D

17. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

well any time you somebody does something for you, you really pay. They pay to have them plated, but add a percentage to that cost. Besides, Gillette is only in it for bux, that's why they came out with the 280 blade disposables, when everybody knows you only need one good blade, so many fell for it. For a while when I was still shaving, I would use the dual blade knockoffs, but once they went past 2 blades, I just didn't see it any more, that third bald and up can't possibly be really doing anything except increasing the price. Now I just don't shave. I'm old, have nobody to impress, so I don't bother.

18. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

I kinda wish mine were. they're just merchandise now that I don't shave. When I did, my fave was a fatboy. Did anyone ever have to shave with the crap razors and blades they issue in the military? they expect a close shave, but give you crap to do it with. One reason I hated boot... among many... of coarse later we could use what we wanted. I don't recall what I was using then, a superspeed I think it was, but that was a VERY long time ago. late 70's early 80's but what I was using then was vintage even then.

19. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

I'm not gone, I'm right here, they removed my posts is all.

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Shave Den is here to promote and provide discussion of shaving. For Members that participate and interact in a Gentlemanly way the Buy/Sell/Trade section is available with a set of rules already in place and enforced. Links to active offsite auctions are not permitted.

Enjoy your visit, stick around and share your thoughts and knowledge. Then you can list your items.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

Frijolero, DaltonGang and Dansco like this.