Got a Working Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joshua223, Mar 27, 2022.

1. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

My Fatboy is still locked up, but I found another one. Pretty dirty when I first got it. Toothbrush, Dawn soap, 3M polish, and a Barbicide soak. Still rough, but a lot better.

IMG_20220326_143640_copy_1729x3321_copy_768x1475.jpg

IMG_20220326_151515_copy_1024x1951_copy_768x1463.jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

very nice,could be an illususion in pic but the door looks bent. on rh side.will give shave issues..

Hembree, Joshua223 and Ron R like this.
  3. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

I looked at it and I think your right. Little peeved at seller because I paid $10 to make sure shipping was covered and they sent it loose in a padded envelope so they could ship it for $5.

brit and Hembree like this.
  4. VerbaVolant

VerbaVolant Active Member

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm of the type that rather than experiment and possibly destroy something I'd have a professional do it.

Razor Emporium

They do good work.

:)

brit and Hembree like this.
  6. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Send it back. It's tweaked on both sides.

brit likes this.
  7. VerbaVolant

VerbaVolant Active Member

8. brit

brit in a box

to be honest it could have happened years ago and seller didn't notice..either way when it comes to adjustables :eatdrink047:i am not a seller.if you post a "want to buy"thread for a decent reliable clean fatboy someone at the den may well respond..;):)

Joshua223 likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Do not take it apart! Only as a last resort. I have fixed many many stuck, and severely dirty Fatboys, and Slim.Adjustables.
    It is very easy and doesn't damage the razor.
    Get a heat proof container. I use a Pyrex measuring cup.
    Fill the contakner with Boiling Hot Water.
    Add a tablespoon or two of Palmolive dish soap. I like the orange scent.
    Add the stuck razor.
    Set it aside, for a couple of hours until it cools. Then scrub with a toothbrush. Work the mechanisms lf the razor, but don't force.
    Reheat the used soapy water, until boiling point, in the microwave. Add the razor, and let it soak until it cools down. Warm to touch is fine.
    Repeat as necessary. Usually 2-3 soakings will fix it. Try not to let it sit overnight, the detergent can eventually etch the nickel plating, but it takes a long long time to do this.

I have done this with many razors I have purchased, and fixed other peoples razors. This is also a great way to clean a razor that has decades of gunk that is gunked up. I used to buy Fatboy razors that looked like hell, and didn't work. They were sold as parts, and usually sold for $10-$15. After ther were cleaned up, and polished, many looked almost new. Some even looked brand new,. I have only had one or two, that this didn't fix, but, this was because the previous owner tried to force the adjustment knob, resulting in a broken clicker.
    I hope this helps.

Joshua223 and brit like this.
  10. DaltonGang

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Joshua223, PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  11. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I just re-homed 3 of them and closed my marketplace post out. Have got a very nice slim though lol!
    I believe @Jorvaljr has a couple Fatboys... if not posted in marketplace try sending him a pm. Good luck!

12. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

Appears to be the doors, not the bar. I'll double check.

Stuck razor has been through ultrasonic cleaner with Kroil, and had a couple soaks in hot water with Dawn. I couldn't get it to work free. I may send it off for repair or try to get it apart to clean the internals, eventually.

I was actually thinking of your post from the other day. Wow, those went fast.
    Starting to see the benefits of modern 3 pieces.

brit likes this.
  13. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Unfortunately you got screwed twice. An undamaged fatboy will last you multiple lifetimes. A modern 3pc zamak may turn to dust in a few years or last a lifetime. Modern stainless should last forever.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

14. DaltonGang

You can adjust the doors by adjusting the sides, where they connect. You can also take the doors off, and make sure the arms of the doors aren't bent. Rarely, and I mean rarely, are the doors destroyed, or bent so badly, that they cannot be easily fixed

PLANofMAN, Joshua223 and brit like this.
  15. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

No, I got them both for a song. I wouldn't want to return them.
    The machined stainless ones are what I was referring to. Not familiar with Zamak.

16. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Zamak is the cheap zinc based pot metal alloy Merkur and some others make their razors out of.
    If you're not familiar with it, I'd recommend keeping it that way lol!

brit and Joshua223 like this.
  17. Joshua223

Joshua223 Member

Oh. I thought it was awfully soon for my first DE, a new Merkur, to be losing its' plating.

brit likes this.
  18. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    My Futur is so corroded that the top cap will half fall off if you turn it upside down.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

19. DaltonGang

For the price you pay, for a modern made razor, that is poorly made, you could buy a well made vintage razor. I choose vintage every time, for style, quality, and history.

Enrico and brit like this.