Got any Tabac?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Sledge, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Well, ive read a million good reviews about this stuff... but, as always, im reluctant to try it brand new and spend the cash that comes with it.. figured id try my luck here and see if anyone had any tabac products they were looking to part with to someone looking to test it out more than buy supply of it... particularly interested in creams (as im not very "soap friendly" as ive been finding out more and more... i like the control of the product more with cream) but soap would be an option if i couldnt find someone with a half tube or so of some cream... whatever the case may be, throw me a bone with what you got, and we will talk :) looking forward to hearing from someone! ::

2. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

You can buy a replacement puck here: http://qedusa.com/ for around $6.00. But I believe he has a $20.00 minimum order. Go to the section entitled "Other". good guy to deal with...

3. Sledge

Sledge New Member

well, especially considering its a $20 minimum order, id much rather wait around for one on here... ESPECIALLY since im more fond of creams than i am of soaps... soaps are kind of on the secondary for me.

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

You can easily buy a few things from Charles that will get you to 20 :)

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

He's looking for a free sample. :rolleyes:

:rofl

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Never tried the Tabac cream, I read somewhere it wasn't nearly as good as the soap :confused:

7. Sledge

Sledge New Member

negative... looking to spend somewhere around $6 - $10 including shipping to try some out... not a whole lot of free stuff out there, and i wouldnt expect it. aint that what this part of the forum is about? selling and buying at prices below retail for products that someone else doesnt like, or has too much of? or just plain old needs to get rid of to be able to walk into their bathroom again? :rofl

8. Sledge

Sledge New Member

i make my statement based on the fact that tabac soaps/creams go for around the same price, maybe a little more when brand new... am i correct in this?

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Now you're talking. Hopefully someone out there has some tabac CREAM they are willing to part with. :D

Personally, I don't know of many people that do the tabac cream. The soap, however, is very popular

10. Sledge

Sledge New Member

my only issue is that ive been having a bit of trouble getting soap to adequately work out for me... with all the soaps ive been using, the lathers have been rather thin... seems like the brush isnt picking enough up, and the brush im using is a VERY stiff brush lol so i dunno... thats kinda why i wanted cream, because i can control the actual product in the brush... im fearing that with soaps, my brush is running over the soap more than it is picking it up... you know?

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

12. Sledge

Sledge New Member

ive seen all the videos.. trust me! lol i know its possible... but for some reason ive just had horrible luck with it :(

13. Sledge

Sledge New Member

ok i looked at it, wasnt a vid... but check this out... i get lathers from soaps similar to yours, but for me? its very foamy... not very slick and thick... i have found using creams i get a much denser almost cool-whip like consistency that seems to lubricate better... you know? soaps just come out thin with my method... i dont know why :(

14. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

You need more soap on the brush.

When you think you've got enough soap -- get some more.

Then when you think you have too much soap on the brush -- get some more. Keep swirling on the soap.

Once you realize you cannot POSSIBLY get anymore soap on the brush, and you feel it's completely saturated with thick soap (not lather... thick, thick soap paste), try even more swirls.

Then hit the lather bowl and add driblets of hot water, swirling until the lather resembles what you're used to with creams. You need more soap on the brush to start out with. You can dooo eeeet!

15. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

hear me now...believe me later.

Good info from the guys so far.
    I'll add:
    *Soak brush for a cuppa minutes in hot water
    *Shake out MOST of the water so brush is barely damp.
    *Build a Paste (like duder said) on the brush and then build some more
    *when building the lather (either on your face or in a bowl) add a few drops of hot water to the breech until you reach the consistency you want.

Thats all for now. ;)

16. Sledge

Sledge New Member

see thats a piece of info ive never tried, does adding it to the breech itself actually create a different effect? i always just add it to the bottom of the bowl..

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

It typically gets the water into the deepest part of the brush in the most effective manner, as opposed to having to get the water through the outer part of the brush.

18. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

...and therefore pushes the good stuff down to the tips :D

19. Racso_MS

Racso_MS Enjoy Your Shave

One more comment...

The original thread was concerning "Tabac"...

Sledge, if you use Tabac, IMHO, a little goes a long way...

It is pretty lubricating (or slick if you prefer that word) and I've found it doesn't take quite as much as some other soaps I have...

Enjoy your shave... :D

20. Woknblues

Woknblues New Member

Actually, if I didn't get a thick creamy finished product from any of the soaps I have tried, I wouldn't bother. Cool whip style is not as thick and dense as I demand from my soaps, YMMV... I am looking for more of a whipped butter type of end product....(all I have is MB and QED soaps, by the way, and every single one does just that.)

my technique is to warm up the brush (a stiff one) and add 1/2 ounce of hot water to puck... after a minute or so during my hot towel prep, I shake off the brush, then really mash and swirl that in the soap. After about 30 seconds, I take it all to the face, and scrub away. every 5-10 seconds, I dip the tips into hot water...After 30 seconds or so, I am painting the fence, and good to go for 3-4 passes of super dense and luxurious lather. I repeat the tip dipping at every reapplication. Super smooth shave is guaranteed for me with this procedure...

For the record, I am in the market for tabac as well, will probably go with QED for it... (maybe pick up a bowl if they get them in stock again..