Got my 74yr old dad into DE shaving

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hodge, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

My parents having been visiting for the past week and my dad finally commented on my shaving equipment obsession. It was "lotta brushes you got there". I took that a sign he was interested and took him through my vintage razors and brushes. He recalled using injector razors when he was younger? He commented on the cost of his cart razors, so I offered to let him try my Gillette Aristocrat. I told him if he liked it I'd set him up with the Gillette and a three year supply of blades. He enjoyed it enough to ask for the supply of blades the next morning :D He's in it for the cost savings, but hey that was my thinking when I statrted out.

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is really cool. I say send him a Plissoft, tell him it's the in thing, and send him a quality mild scented soap. Let he be blissfully ignorant for a while. I did this kinda thing for my dad at age 66. He's is heaven with Arko, Voskhod, Jayaruh 22 and a slim. Sometimes not understanding the range of options can preserve happiness.

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

This is awesome. Start him off slow. I agree with Bama, don't give too many options.

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Very cool!!

crackstar and Hodge like this.
  5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Actually I gave him a plissoft and a tub of Cella a couple years ago and he never got into using it. The cost savings of a three year supply of quality shaves got him though. :D

6. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I am age 74 and am here to tell you, most geezers can do anything you can with DEs. Age would be a barrier to straight razors. Most of us have an advantage in that we learned on Gillette DEs and some of the technique stays with you.

Yes, the wet shave hobby can be a costly, but it's nickels and dimes compared to my contemporaries that collect vintage cars.

ob1page, DesertTime, twhite and 7 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm not far behind at 69 and not far behind. I have reluctantly taken up a straight. I am using it one a week, and I look forward to using it. I haven't bought blades in years and probably have years of blades left. If I run out, I still have my straight.

ob1page, DesertTime, twhite and 5 others like this.
  8. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

My dad was born 1955 and he has used an old double edge safety razor before, but he told me a few weeks ago that he never used a brush before and I gave him one I found.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Dad, God bless him is get this, 94 - yes NINETY FOUR and was shaving the traditional way until a couple of years ago when he was diagnosed with dementia. For that reason he had to switch to an electric razor. He still manages decent shaves but he himself realizes he can no longer shave like us.

ob1page, DesertTime, twhite and 3 others like this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

God bless your dad Jeff!

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Thanks so much my friend. I become very emotional about this, especially now because in spite of him being on medication his condition is declining. I know it's not curable and the best he can expect is a temporary delay. It's just that he was always physically powerful and very sharp mentally.

DesertTime and twhite like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I hear ya! I tell my wife the same thing: this is cheaper than any other hobby I could have. And Its true. (I also shave my head. ) When I figure the cost of cartridge razors and the cost of hair cuts( at truly modest estimates), even with the razors, brushes, soaps, and aftershaves I've bought, I am still money ahead.

13. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Sorry about your father, Jeff. Maybe, if you're close to where he lives, you could occasionally give him a shave the old fashioned way? It would likely be a thrill for both of you.

14. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

I found much of this thread rather humorous. I'm 71 and as was the case for millions of my contemporaries, I began shaving with a Gillette Super Speed razor, which was pretty much what was available. A few years later, I bought two of the new Gillette Slim Adjustable razors (@$1.75 each) and used them most days for a decade and a half, along with a gold Aristocrat and a TECH. There are many, many older gents who bought these razors and the original Gillette Blue Blades and the Super Blues and the first Gillette platinum blades brand new and used them from their teens on into adulthood. Imagine that!

twhite likes this.