Grandfather's straight razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by IAmTheJody, Jun 16, 2021.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If you've been outside the straight razor section, you've seen personally I am a DE and injector fella. So I know much of nothing about straight razors other than what scales and tangs are.

My grandfather immigrated to the United States from Italy and eventually ended up settling in Greenville, Mississippi where he would own and operate his own barbershop until his passing in the late 1960s when his son, my uncle, took over - their last being the barbershop inside the old Greenville Hotel.

These were passed on to me by that uncle. He said they were grandfather's straights in the shop. I thought it would be interesting just to have some information about them. Things like age, quality, rareness, uniqueness... Same things we are interested in, in DE injector razors. Pictures below as well as a picture featuring all of his other gear he used in his Barber shop, including his leather strop, barber brushes, shears, scissors, nose hair pluckers that will bring tears to your eyes, capes and a picture of him and my uncle in their shop...

First up is marked Edmond Roffler with original box. Also marked Made in France.
    IMG_20210616_210306~2.jpg IMG_20210616_210341~2.jpg IMG_20210616_210437.jpg IMG_20210616_210414.jpg

Second up marked Hess and Hess Hair Milk Laboratories St. Paul, Minn. Solingen, Made in Germany. Also a stamped 1 on it.
    IMG_20210616_210502~2.jpg IMG_20210616_210507~2.jpg IMG_20210616_210518~2.jpg IMG_20210616_210544~2.jpg

Leather strop and miscellaneous.
    IMG_20210616_212619a.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  2. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

That is awesome! My uncle regretfully told me he wished he had known that I collected straight razors or he wouldn't have sold the ones he'd had from my great-grandfather. Ah well... to have a razor from an ancestor is a unique gift from an earlier generation. To have a whole kit is almost unheard-of. I don't know anything about those razor brands, but I'll make a couple observations...
    One, a barber who makes a lifetime of it would not be likely to have used rare or collectible razors in his shop, but would instead have solid, well made, well cared for razors that would be proper tools of the trade. They look like that.
    And two, any razor from Solingen that isn't broken or worn out is at least as good as a top quality razor from pretty much anywhere else.
    If you want to use them, have someone like Glen hone them for you so you know it's done right. I think if I were you, I would make a nice display of them, maybe along with a picture of your grandpa at his shop or something (like it looks like you've already done).

Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

battle.munky and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

2 cents worth a dollar! Thank you. Didn't consider tools for the shop versus personal use and that definitely makes sense. To this day, I just haven't been brave enough to give it a go with a straight razor. The closest I've come is with a Gillette DE shavette (never knew Gillette made shavettes until about 10 years ago when I came across some for sale on eBay), and even that was a little overwhelming. I like the idea of the whole process - honing, stropping, using - but I'm not as steady as I once was after having a stroke. My uncle who owned and ran the shop after grandfather passed away, told me next time I was his way, he would show me how to do it all. Unfortunately, he's since passed away before I could make it back to Greenville.

battle.munky and Mr. Oldschool like this.
  4. Mr. Oldschool

I'm sorry to hear that. If you want to learn, there are plenty of us around to give advice, but as you say, unsteadiness resulting from a stroke is a big obstacle. If you're content with the razors you already use, that's all the more reason to display your grandpa's. Personally, I learned the straight technique initially on one of those DE holder shavettes. It teaches the basic principle, but the overall experience is significantly different.

battle.munky, IAmTheJody and Tedolph like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    It looks like you have a Hess #1 there is good shape, they are one of the smoothest edges you will drag across your face
    Hess is well known and highly sought after by people that know SR's their #44 SS might be the best shaving SS razor every produced..
    Really a top line shaver

The Roffler is a Facial Hair Trimmer, imagine you wanted a "Pencil Thin Mustache" like the song says :p The roffler and razors like it were designed to help you get there

6. IAmTheJody

Great to know grandfather practiced his craft with a quality razor in the Hess. I think it's a beautiful razor and if I ever did decide to tackle a straight, that would definitely be in my rotation. There's just something about owning and actually being able to use a family heirloom razor. I use my dad's Gillette Slim adjustable a good bit. Being able to use my grandfather's Hess straight would be an experience. He passed before I was born so there's legend and stories behind that one.

battle.munky and Karl G like this.
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Welcome to straights! It’s great to have heirlooms like that. Get Glen to give them some TLC and a good honing, and use them. Your grandfather would smile.

battle.munky, Karl G and IAmTheJody like this.
  8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

It was my Grandpa’s straight that got me started down this path. It’s a wonderful razor and I think of him and him using it whenever I break it out. I highly recommend tackling the learning curve and investment - especially when you have an heirloom like that :happy088:

My Granda Val’s straight:
    Nielsen’s Never Fail 5-8 AOS MNSBS SM AOS.jpeg

DaltonGang, Steve56, Tedolph and 3 others like this.
  9. IAmTheJody

Thank you. That's a gorgeous razor.

Karl G likes this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I agree with @Karl G but do not ! Learn to hone on your heirloom razors !

Karl G likes this.
  11. IAmTheJody

Good tip. I'm guessing avoid learning with his strop as well?

Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Definitely send it out to someone like Glen - @gssixgun. I could be his agent with all of the razors he’s done for me and my satisfaction - including my heirloom which shaved way better after it passed through his hands :happy088:

IAmTheJody and Mr. Oldschool like this.
  13. Mr. Oldschool

Yeah, expect to mess up your first couple strops before you totally get the hang of it.

IAmTheJody and Karl G like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    To add to @gssixgun 's post, if I recall correctly, Hess was primarily a barber supply razor, much like dublduck and a couple other companies. The Roffler would have also been used for edging, and was probably the razor your grandfather used to clean up the back of his customer's necks, in addition to detail work.

15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes, Tony Miller makes strops for new folks that are just as good as his most expensive ones, they just aren’t finished as well.

Karl G and IAmTheJody like this.