Grandma Jonston's Rice Pudding

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by lradke, Jan 18, 2013.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

When I was a wee boy (as my grandpa would say), I would spend many afternoons at my grapdparent's house. While I was there I would hide from their dog Freddy, color in the back room, watch Coronation Street with my grandma, sneak into my grandpa's workshop to look at the tools, and sit on the kitchen stool watching my grandma cook dinner.

She mostly cooked Geordie and English dishes, as my grandpa was from Geordie decent and they were from Northeastern England, just on the border of Northumberland.

The dinners were always amazing! I don't know how she did it, but she could turn a few ingredients into a feast! However, I was always the most excited for dessert. She would always make rice pudding for dessert, and I would eat as much as she would give me! I LOVED it! Sadly though, my grandma passed on when I was still little. :(

In recent years, my mom randomly remembered how my grandma made her rice pudding, and last night I received a copy of the long-lost dictated recipie that my grandma gave to my mom. Of course there were very few (specific) measurements, most of it referenced approximate amounts, such as "dob of butter", etc. Even though my mom couldn't give me exact measurements, I understood perfectly what my grandma was saying, as I cook the same way. After I got off the phone I tried out the recipie.

My efforts were somewhat fruitful, because I did get a rice pudding in the end, that looked almost right (a bit too runny), but tasted the slightest bit off.

However, I would like to share the recipie with you! It is a wonderful recipie, and from my estimations, this will turn out perfect! (I hope ;) )

Rice Pudding.JPG

Dish:
    1 ½ Qt Oven Dish

Ingredients:
    1 x 370mL can of Evaporated Milk
    4 Tbsp Rice (heaping)
    2Tbsp Sugar (heaping)
    Dobble of Butter
    Dash of Nutmeg

Steps:
    1. Take the rice and wash it to remove the starch
    2. Place the rice in the cooking dish and fill it with an inch of water
    3. Bake at 350°C until dry (about 30-45 minutes)
    4. Remove from oven and add sugar, nutmeg, butter and evaporated milk
    5. Set aside to cook later, or bake right away
    6. Bake in the oven at 350°C until a darkened skin forms on the top
    7. Take out and let it cool
    8. ENJOY! J

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what a Dobble is, maybe 2TBLS or quarter stick?

3. lradke

It's more of a random spoonful...sorry,I should wait the post...(its a family term).

4. KLF

KLF Doctorin

whats evaporated milk ? it looks yummy, maybe i'll try it next week.
    4 Tbsp rice is about a cup , or more ?

5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yummy, sounds delicious!

6. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

Oh boy, that look's good, although you already at me at grandma's rice pudding. [​IMG]

It's dehydrated milk. They remove close to 60% of the water in it. It's sort of like condensed milk, except there's no added sugar. You'll usually see both hanging out next to each other in the baking isle of the grocery store.

KLF and lradke like this.
  7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Awesome post, Luke. I too have fond memories of watching grandma bake and I treasure some of her recipes. What a great thing that you found that recipe after all these years.

KLF likes this.
  8. richgem

I have to ask tho.... how does it shave? :D

macaronus likes this.
  9. gollum83

gollum83 Well-Known Member

You're going to shave with rice pudding? I'd call you an odd duck, but clearly you're a penguin. :rolleyes:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. richgem

It should be very moisturising. :p

11. lradke

It shaves VERY well! I find myself constantly shaving more off of it as the day goes on. ;)