Grandpa's Soaps? Any Feedback?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by coche1, Feb 15, 2012.

1. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

I did a quick search but couldn't find any results- has anyone used Grandpa's Soaps? They carry a couple of varieties in the organic section (they're vegetable-based) of a few local grocery stores. Has anyone used them (Pine Tar and Sandalwood specifically indicate shaving as a use on the packaging)? Anyone know anything about them?

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've used the Pine Tar soap before and it's a good soap but, has a scent that not everyone likes. I've not tried it for shaving but have read reports from people who have and they didn't have good things to say about it.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have not tried it either. If you do try it, let us know what you think. Also, you might try milling the soap and pressing it into a bowl to see if you get better results than what Keith said about others having bad results.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've tried the Pine Tar to shave with. Don't.

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

It is a decent bar soap. I don't mind the scent. However, it tanks as a shaving soap. If you enjoy thin, non-protective, greyish lather then it might work for you. I tired several practice lathers and never could get good lather and then I tried shaving with it once and only once. It just isn't a shaving soap.

6. coche1

coche1 Actively Wishing Member

Well after all of these ringing endorsements I think I'll just run out and grab a bar or 6 TONIGHT to try out! :rolleyes:

7. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

That's too bad it's not a good shaving soap. It's been many years since I've used this as soap (for shower and shampoo) and I was just looking for it again on Amazon, hoping it was good for shaving too. Pine Tar is one of my favorite scents.

8. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

George Brett hates that particular scent I hear.

supe and srpavko like this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

ShopRite carries it around here.

10. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

shaving is not indicated on their packaging. I DO know people that use it as a shave soap. I use the pine tar & the oatmeal soaps in the shower regularly on a daily basis. Good stuff. I highly recommend it. It's pricy, but worth every penny. It lasts longer if you put it in like a drawstring cloth & scrub w. it in the cloth as opposed to just using the bar. Soap lasts longer that way. You end up cleaner as well. Double positive.

11. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I tried the pine tar soap last night. The soap cleans very well but the scent was so strong it almost made me sick. Stunk the whole house up. The aroma reminds me of a campfire that was just extinguished with a bucket of water. Will never use it again.

12. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wash a cat in pine tar soap, lol not a good smell at all.

BigT likes this.
  13. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Billy Martin was a fan, however.

Lexicon Devil likes this.