Grapefruit seed extract

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by TraderJoe, Feb 15, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

A question for the experts:

Grapefruit seed extract

1) Preservative?

2) Is it safe?

3) Is it effective?

2. 1 st class male

1 st class male New Member

I'm not an expert, but I can tell you that a few dropsof GSE in water or in a glass of juice does amazing things for any kind of chest infection. My kids do very well after a few drinks of juice with GSE mixed in. Also in the laundry if you have wash rags and other towells for cleaning the house, a few drops of GSE take out that odd smell that never seems to leave cleaning rags no matter what detergent you use. The only other use I know of GSE is to clean fruit and vegetables. I hope this helps.

3. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

It is a powerful antioxidant. Some people claim it works as a preservative, but I don't believe this has been backed up by any testing whatsoever.

4. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm New Member

Here, here!! GSE (as well as ROE) are wonderful antioxidants but are NOT preservatives (i.e. they do NOT promote an atmosphere where beasties can not grow)

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

What in your opinion, are some good preservatives?

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Formaldehyde seems to be effective :rofl

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Oh - so thats the secret to your balms and lotions :eek:

8. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm New Member

Not all preservatives are equal in various formulas. A formula with a high % of water needs a different perservative than a formula with a high % of oil.

I depend on The Lotion Crafter for my preservative needs:
    http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/Preservatives-c-257.html

she has links the the MSDS safety sheet.

I haven't tried the Optiphen family of preservatives (paraben and formaldehyde-free) , but I've heard great reviews about this

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Follow up question(s):

1) How long would a lotion/ASB last without ANY preservatives....given the standard and simple ingredients:

strearic acid, glycerin, shea butter, sunflower oil, witch hazel, emulsifying wax (in no specific order, sound like a good aftershave?:D)

2) And finally, would the addition of a small amount of alcohol allow for replacement of parabens, or any other preservative type ingredient?

3) How do I know if my lotion/ASB has been "spoiled" with (beasties)

10. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

It would have to be 66% plus alcohol for the alcohol to work as a preservative...

It depends on how you store it... on a sunlit window sill it might start growing critters overnight... in a fridge it might last a few months, depending on what is in it... Aloe is a special love for critters...

Joe, there are no easy answers here regarding preservative. You must have your recipe first and then go from there..... this is a huge area of learning....

Are you going into competition with us.... ;-)

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thanks Sue - definitely not looking for easy answers, but I am bringing it down to a science.