Great Brush without breaking the bank?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jdconnel, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jdconnel

jdconnel New Member

Wondering what people recommend as the best brush for under $15?

I guess $20 if the $5 leap mean a phenomenal improvement.

Looked at the reviews, and all the high ranking stuff was $100+
    I know you get what you pay for... but man! I went to this method of shaving to help save some $$

-Jamie

2. Shaving.ie

Shaving.ie New Member

With a budget of around $20 you will be better off going with a boar brush rather than a cheap badger. I would suggest a Semogue 1305 or an Omega 31064. Both are very fine brushes.

battle.munky likes this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I'd get a Omega boar. I have brushes of all kinds and prices and the only brush I want to use daily is my black plastic handle Omega I paid $13 for. The thing with Omega boars is the more you use it and break it in the softer the brush gets. Omega makes well made brushes so it will be a work horse.

battle.munky likes this.
  4. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Omega Beechwood Boar, depending on where you look, anywhere from $10-20, I got mine for $15 shipped from Sesto Senso during their after Christmas sale.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I agree on Omega. Great brush, great price.

Alan in AZ

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I have the brush in this link as well as an omega professional 20248. As of the past week have been using the boar exclusively, it lathers cream as well as soaps superbly. check out shoebox shave I think his name is Gary? he has the biggest selection of omega brushes boar and badger as well as synthetic that you will find.

Oh the reason for using boar for me is I like the way it feels on the face soft not scritchy.

10. swarden43

:eek: I FORGOT THE DRIDECKER! HOW COULD I?!?!

Yes, a very good brush.

11. jdconnel

jdconnel New Member

Thanks!
    Looks like I'll be looking for a good deal on a boar...
    The 31064 seems to be about $35 shipped, so more shopping.

Also looks like target is worth a trip since its right around the corner!

I will be in Canada in a couple weeks. Can't hurt to see what some of the random shops up there have.

12. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

13. jdconnel

jdconnel New Member

Thanks for the excellent website...
    I see they have the 10049 is $9, the 31064 for $22.
    What are the main differences, and what does one look for in a "good" brush?

I assume some things are impossible to tell online.

14. jdconnel

jdconnel New Member

Order has been placed!

Now to wait..... actually ordered some blades and soap that I have heard good reviews on.
    I'm very interested to see how they compare to the Walgreens "cheap-o" stuff.

15. Tony_B

Tony_B New Member

What one did you order???

T

16. Rothbardian

Rothbardian New Member

The Shea Moisture Ultimate Shave Brush at Target is pretty damn good for creams. I'd think it would be too floppy for soaps. Plus, it's only $9 or so. The handle is fantastic, I might add.

17. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

Got my Omega from Gary at Shoeboxshaveshop.

10029, 10275, 40033, 21047, 31073, *31020, *31025, *31064, 31073, 50068, 50014, 80265, 81054, 81056, 80257

He's got the largest selection of Boar and even Badger compared to any vendor. Doesn't just carry the popular models but instead offer a myriad selection.

Edit
    *310xxx series $21.99

18. swarden43

Yup - very good brush.
    Nope - not too floppy for soaps.
    Yup - like the price and the handle.

I don't believe there is such a thing as a "soap" brush or a "cream" brush. Soaps are about all I use. This brush works just as well as any other brush I own.

19. markymark01

markymark01 New Member

I'm a noob, and I also own the Omega Boar($15), and I like it a lot.
    I've been looking into upgrading to a badger brush and read a lot of good reviews on Tweezerman Badger($15!!)
    But since I already have a $15 brush, I've decided to go with the Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush($44).. This one's supposed to feel like $100+ brush..
    you should check it out..

20. RABIDMONKEY

RABIDMONKEY Active Member

maybe a horse hair ?

I just ordered a cleves PROFESSIONAL BRUSH Nº2 BLACK HORSE HAIR EXTRA from gifts and care for $23 and some change with shipping . this is the professional barber brush Brothers reviewed in our forum review section . Here is link to the page http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/catalog/the-pleasure-of-shaving/barber-brushes.html enter promo code" Postal Service WW" in the coupon box for money off shipping