Great Made in Vietnam Blade at Dollar General

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by zec668, Jan 29, 2015.

1. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Hello Gents,

I just wanted to share my recent treasure find in my wetshaving adventures. I've been perusing my local grocery stores for traditional products. I stopped by some of the usual spots. I came across some DE blades at Walgreens and CVS for somewhere around $8.00 with tax. Crazy. So I decided to check grocery stores and came across some generic de blades at Dollar General that are made in Vietnam for $1.00 for a 5 pack. I almost didn't buy them, but curiosity got the better of me and I got a pack.

I loaded one into my Weber polished head wave and the first stroke I took I knew I had a good blade. It was probably the smoothest blade I have used and I have tried quite a few including the fabled smoothness of the Voskhod. This blade is definitely worth a try. Used it for my second shave today and it was just as smooth.

So far I really like this blade. I'm wondering if they are the same as the made in Vietnam Gillette Super thins. Does anyone else know about this? If you have the chance and see them at your local Dollar General I recommend you give them a try. Shave well everyone!

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Good find! Any pics?

3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... my local Dollar General blades are made in Korea. Don't really care for them although they would do in a pinch. Guess I'll have to check again, maybe they have changed here as well.

4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Yes,
    Please post a pic of the blades!

5. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of the blade container. Honestly, it looked exactly like any other house branded de blade package, except on the back it had printed "Made in Vietnam." I also, went to nearby Kroger and found a pack of 10 house brand blades that stated "Made in Israel." I shaved with those and got a pretty good shave as well, but I have to say that on the first shave I felt like the Vietnams were more smooth. Almost felt like there wasn't a blade in there at all.

Attached Files:

Douglas Carey and mikewood like this.
  6. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Had to dig through the trash for the packaging pics. Just for you guys :)

7. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I'll check out the local Dollar General to see what they have here. We don't have a Kroger's, but the grocery stores we have here don't stock DE blades any longer. The Walmarts around here don't stock them either, just the Rite Aid drug store.

zec668 likes this.
  8. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I'm in central Illinois. Where do you live? That's too bad. I wish stores would start stocking de blades again along with traditional shaving gear.

45auto likes this.
  9. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

What part? Springfield? Decatur? I went to college in Quincy decades ago, but have lived in Baton Rouge, LA for the past 43 years.

As for stocking DE blades in local stores, I used to buy them whenever I found them locally, but I think I might have been the only person buying them in my part of town. One of my high school buddies recently took up DE shaving after reading all the rave reviews (at my suggestion) of the Merkur 23C at Amazon. So far he tells me that he liked the Bluebird blade in his new razor best and the Voskhod least.

10. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

I'm in Bloomington-Normal. Usually, I don't find anything that great in my local stores, but recently I've been finding some products I actually like. I went to a Mejier in my area and found a few tubes of Pacific Shaving Company shave cream and they were selling for $4.99. Turned out to be my recent favorite cream. Sometimes it pays to hunt around.

11. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

I saw these blades at DG yesterday. I'll probably pop in and grab some soon. I vaguely remember someone telling me these are rebranded Personna blades but I cant remember.

zec668 likes this.
  12. Mr. Shaverman

Thanks, man!

zec668 likes this.
  13. Mr. Shaverman

I think those are the store brand made in Israel blades. I don't know if Personna has a plant in Vietnam.

14. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

One time I bought a pack of the "Made in Korea" ones at a grocery store and didn't like them much at all. They were very tuggy and not particularly smooth. Still not bad for $1.00 and part of the experience :)

15. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Just to let you all know, I'm on my fourth shave and these blades still feel very smooth to me. Just to let you all know that they do seem to last for a good few shaves. All in all, I'd say these are quality blades. Let me know if anyone has a guess as to what brand they are.

16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

17. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

I will check my local DG blades tomorrow.

zec668 and GDCarrington like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I think I will check my local store as well.

zec668 likes this.
  20. R.D.Nelson

R.D.Nelson Well-Known Member

I checked the local DG here in Hudson NC. The blades sold here are made in South Korea. Pic is kinda blurry

CAM00230.jpg