Greetings all!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Badgerstate, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Hello all, new member here. Im currently living in Ohio but Im originally from Madison, WI. I got into the DE shaving game about 6 months ago, mostly wanting something cheaper and better than using clippers and cartridge razors and Ive really gotten into the tradition and mystique of DE shaving.
    Im currently shaving with an old '59 Gillette Fatboy but Ive also got a Merkur long handle and a Merkur open comb. Im kind of torn between which I like better, the old Gillette or the open comb. I like the aggressiveness of the open comb but I also like shaving with the old vintage razor. I guess maybe I should try to find a vintage open comb and then I could have the best of both worlds.
    Besides shaving, Im also into golf, sports, cars and beer. Im an avid golfer with a 10 handicap, as well as being a rabid Packers, Badgers, Brewers, Bucks and Nashville Predators fan.

chrisbd, RyX, macaronus and 1 other person like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello smd welcome

chrisbd and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Hey there..You have some really great stuff . Hello and welcome

4. Loedse

Loedse Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome to TSD!

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den

Go Pack!

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and Badgerstate like this.
  7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Greetings! Welcome to The Shave Den.:)

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Good morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. ithink2020

ithink2020 New Member

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "Badgerstate:

I hope you enjoy it here with us. Your starting with good kit. Have you gotten a blade sampler yet? The more different blades you can try the better in your search for the perfect shave.:happy088: Do you have a favorite soap yet?:)

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Welcome to TSD! Happy Shaving!

welcome.jpg

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Welcome. Sounds like a good setup, why not switch the razors out every other day? Then if you get a vintage open comb you could replace them or rotate all three.

I kinda grew up on golf courses, so to speak. I found disc golf later and realized its every bit as fun with about 1/100th of the cost of traditional golf. Im hooked, what can I say?

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Badgerstate ! Glad you joined our crew. I've a '59 Fatboy as well. Sounds like your curiosity about other razors has found an outlet. Keep asking questions, and use that search box. You are sure to get opinions, advice, and actual information.
    There is one sure way to know the answer to your statement.Visit antique shops, thrift stores, and flea markets. (EDIT check The Marketplace)

"I guess maybe I should try to find a vintage open comb and then I could have the best of both worlds."

Has anyone discussed Acquisition Disorders with you yet? ;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    chrisbd, AGHisBBS and simms623 like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  16. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

17. Badgerstate

No. I started out with a 100 pack of Personas that Im still working though and Ive also got a 100 pack of Feathers that are waiting for when the Personas are gone. I also want to try Merkur and Muhle blades. I may try Derbys too, just to see what theyre all about.
    I like the Personas because they do a great job and because they are made in the USA but as an American of German ancestry, part of me wants to like Merkurs or Muhles, although Ive read that Merkur blades arent great.

18. Badgerstate

LOL...perhaps. Im going with that Im just curious and want to try different things. You should see how many golf clubs I buy off of Ebay, use them for a while, want something different and sell them on Ebay.

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  19. Badgerstate

Go Pack, indeed. Heck, even the Brew crew has been looking sporty lately. 2 in a row over the Nats! Now, if only we can get the Bucks to get their act together.

chrisbd likes this.
  20. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

There are other blades manufactured in Germany. Bolzano, Chroma, Elios, and Wilkinson Sword for instance. I can't say how good they are, as I never used them, but you can buy individual blades of almost any brand at Tryablade.com