Greetings from Canada

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Stephen Beckwith, May 21, 2021.

1. Stephen Beckwith

Stephen Beckwith New Member

Hello there, first time poster here. I'm from England and now call Alberta my home. Back in 1982 when my Dad died I inherited his safety razor, a Gillette that was issued him when he signed up to the RAF in 1939. I didnt get on too well with it and left it alone in favour of an electric razor. When I did try it again, corrosion had got the better of it and the screw in snapped off.
    I was always put off DE razors because of my bad experience with Dads but I have only recently decided to try again. I bought an Aristocrat yesterday from an antique shop for $25, a pack of blades from the drug store, cleaned and sanitised the razor, oiled it a little and put in a blade.
    A few cuts and nicks later and I think I will enjoy using it (and a couple more I have coming)
    Its a good lesson in patience and being mindful.
    Cheers for now
    SB

wristwatchb, Droo78, brit and 6 others like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi and welcome!

6. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

Welcome! Share some pictures of your Aristocrat, you will discover it's a big family =)

Try some derby premium blades, they are cheap and good to start.

7. Stephen Beckwith

I am figuring out how to use this on my phone and lap top so forgive the poor formatting please. Actually, I see its OK.
    Perhaps someone can confirm if this is indeed an Aristocrat?
    It was tarnished dark grey. I cleaned with a tooth brush and dish soap and the turn knob looks to have had the nickel plating worn off.
    I figured i wouldn't do any harm by using some steel wool and a fine brass brush. Soi did.
    The other of course is a Schick and I'm waiting on blades for it.
    20210522_050744.jpg 20210522_050728.jpg 20210522_051054.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Edison Carter likes this.
  8. José Santos

José Santos Active Member

You have an Aristocrat Jr with a lot of experience enjoy it, it's a very nice razor!

9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome Aboard! Lots of friendlies here with some great insight and always willing to help.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. Stephen Beckwith

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I will see you all on the other threads
    Cheers for now

SB

wristwatchb and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Stephen Beckwith and Paul Turner like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Stephen Beckwith likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

hello Stephen.another brit in Canada.welcome from B.C..:):eatdrink047:

Keithmax and Stephen Beckwith like this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. Your Gillette razor though made in England was sold in Canada in what was called a Rocket set between 1949 and 1950. When sold in places like England or Australia the razor would have been called an Aristocrat Jr. That Schick injector we'd have to see the front of the spring and guard to determine exactly which model Type E it is and if it was made in the US or Canada.

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-canadian-rocket-tto-timeline.62771/

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Stephen, welcome to The Shave Den!

16. Stephen Beckwith

Fascinating. Thanks for that. I just missed a packaged Rocket for $8.00 on marketplace which was disappointing, never used, apparently. Mine has the patent and made in England on it. Is there a way to determine which of the 3 versions (light/moderate/heavy) is which?

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The light, moderate heavy aka red, standard or blue tip razors superceded the Rocket sets in Canada and are what are called Super Speed razors. The Rocket sets weren't set up that way. Originally the Rocket sets were packaged with British made razors like the one you have then with a Super Speed styled razor in nickel or gold plating. It is Super Speed styled not a Super Speed razor, the way to tell is a Super Speed razor is made in the US, a Canadian Rocket with a Super Speed styled razor is not. It looks identical to a US Super Speed razor produced in the same time period but won't say made in the USA or have any US patent info on the razor. They also shave differently.

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To confuse things further the term Rocket used by collectors is used to refer to any British made Gillette razor with a specific kind of TTO (twist to open) knob on the handle. Gillette used it as a term for a type of razor set not razor itself since they packaged the set with different razors that also showed up in other sets. It all depends how pedantic you want to be or how much money you want to spend collecting duplicate razors in every possible case aka set they came in.

Case and point with that razor you have. If you are collecting razors regardless of sets then you are done. If not here it is again under a dfferent brand name as an Artistocrat Jr and set Nos. 51 and 53 when sold in England and Australia. You'd have to buy the same razor at least 2 more times if you collect by the set and not the razor.

1949 (U2) Aristocrat jr.JPG 1949 (U3 on blade) Aristocrat jr.JPG

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  19. Stephen Beckwith

So was the "light/moderate/heavy" notation on the ad and packaging just marketing and there is no difference in the way the razors would likely perform on the same person?

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.