Greetings from New Mexico

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by terstation, Jun 19, 2019.

1. terstation

terstation Active Member

Hello All,

I have been wet shaving for about 6 years now and have been browsing multiple shaving forums for just about as long. I felt it was time to step out of the shadows and join the conversation here.

Like a lot of folks trying to get away from cart $$$ hell, I did research on my alternate options. I remember watching in fascination as my grandfather would shave with a straight razor. The entire process of honing his blade and working up a lather in his old mug was just a look into a little slower more civilized time that definitely had appeal to me. Well a straight was just a little hardcore for me to even think about at the time, so with a little Google search (“shave like your grandpa”) and a lot of reading forums and YouTube videos I jumped into DE shaving. I started out with a Muhle R89 and purchased a Razorock Mission (mainly for the handle) soon thereafter. I have moved up to a Rockwell 6S and get DFS every time and would be perfectly happy using it forever if I had to, because as I have read many times and agree that “technique beats tools” any day. Well since I don’t have to stick with that, I started looking into vintage razors for fun and ended up purchasing a couple of birth year (P3) Gillette’s (Tech and a Super 109 “Black Beauty”) from the bay. They work fine but didn’t really scratch that itch.

Hence me most recently becoming interested in SE shaving after seeing an old Kampfe Bros Star. It is a beautiful piece of history that can still be enjoyed today. So with more perusing of forums I ran across the Injector & SE Party !!! page here on The Shave Den and decided to give both GEM style and injectors a shot and headed back to the bay. Well RAD kicked in and I bid on multiple nice items only expecting to maybe win a couple. Turns out nobody bid against me or less than my pittance bid and now I have a bunch of items (GEM Micromatic gold plated brass bullet tip, GEM G-Bar, GEM Junior w/ fat Bakelite handle, British made Ever Ready 1912, Schick Eversharp E2? and G? and a few Treet, PAL and Schick blades) heading to my ever increasing den. It should keep me busy testing out new hardware and learning how to finesse each one to achieve a great shave. I received a very nice Schick E2 (from the best of my research) first the other day, sanitized it and took her out for a spin. I received a very close shave, but also less desirable tons of irritation on my neck. I am sure it was my all technique and pressure and will continue to work on those. I look forward to my plunge in the SE end of the pool and hopefully will end up a regular around here.

V/R
    Brian

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Brian, Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie. Sounds you you will fit in fine with this group. Most of us have RAD including me. I have about 20 SEs, 30 Gillettes, Rockwell 6s & c, Karve and some Schick injectors, etc. I still have not figured out where they all came from. ;) Jump on over to the 30DC for some fun and discussions. We always get back to shaving. Glad to have you and this is a great group to hang around!

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/june-2019-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.62104/

terstation, RyX, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great background write-up. Welcome to TSD.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RyX, Linuxguile, brit and 3 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

hello Brian welcome to tsd..

RyX, terstation and Hembree like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Howdy!!

RyX, brit, Terry and 2 others like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Love it!
    RAD on!
    Welcome
    tp

RyX, terstation and brit like this.
  7. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee...

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

RyX and terstation like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Brian, welcome to The Shave Den!

10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

terstation likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

terstation likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @terstation (Brian). Excellent introduction.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Brian @terstation! Glad you chose our little corner of the internet to delurk. Also happy you brought your experience with you. Our community is built on Member Interaction. The database is deep, the folks friendly and willing to share opinions, advice, even actual information.
    If you have any questions ask away!

terstation likes this.
  15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi there! Welcome sir.

terstation likes this.
  16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

terstation likes this.
  17. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I too am from New Mexico! Welcome aboard!

terstation likes this.
  18. terstation

terstation Active Member

What part of NM are you located?

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

19. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Southeast corner. You?

20. terstation

terstation Active Member

ABQ area. Happy shaving!