Grits what do you do with them?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Ragnost, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

Just received a tub of grits (old fashioned) enriched with hominy? Brought back from over the pond by a friend, any ideas on recipes for how to use them

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

1) Prepare with water per the package directions
    2) Add butter and black pepper
    3) Eat for breakfast

Other things can be added for step 2, but as most common things are sweet and the grits are already sweet I stick to butter and pepper. You can also use them as a base under Etouffee (a Cajun dish which is a meat, usually seafood, in a spicy tomato sauce with other vegetable). Personally, I prefer rice with my etouffee, but grits aren't bad.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

In step 2 I'll add the butter and a touch of brown sugar. I like it sweet.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Being a Southerner it's shameful to say but I hate grits and won't touch them. The only time I'll eat them is if they're turned into cheese grits and that's only on a blue moon. Not that this has any meaning to your thread.

5. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmm Grits, Georgia ice cream, yes sir! I like mine on the thicker side, then load up a scoop of real butter, salt, pepper. If we have sausage, take one pattie and crumble it up in the grits or do the same if we have bacon. Daughter likes it the same except she will add one of her over easy egg to it, then chop it up. Looks gawd awful but tastes yummy. Lotsa butter!

6. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

That is the way to do it. Plus, you have to make sure it all comes out even with your toast. Also, a nice side of cat head biscuits with red eye gravy to go with it all.

And lots of boiling hot black coffee!

8. Ragnost

Ragnost Member

What are cat head biscuits?????????:eek:

9. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Yeah you gotta explain that one.

10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Big handmade biscuits, round and fluffy and the size of a cat head, with two sticky uppy things that look like cat ears because the dough stuck to your hands while you were flopping them out of your hand on to the baking sheet.

As opposed to those refrigerator tube biscuits.

I am not making it up... I swear!

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Am I the only one that read Girls not Grits?

12. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

LMAO. I can envision exactly what you're talking about. Also want to throw into this that there are 2 types of grits and I like em both. First, the one mentioned above and the second, it stands for Girls Raised In The South. Yepper!

13. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I did! Then if you substitute 'grits' with 'girls' in the OP, you will really be curious :)

14. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Nope ... I coulda swore it said Girls ... had to do a double-take. :D

15. supe

supe Active Member

Grits, cat heads, red eye gravy and ham. Better than steak any day! YMMV lol

16. supe

supe Active Member

if you have any leftover grits, make them into thin patties and fry them in grease. excellent but probably a real artery clogger.

17. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I love them....and you can vary from runny to more solid depending on how you like them. Add cheese, butter, always salt and pepper, shrimp, shrimp and cheese, milk gravy, chipped bacon, and that is just for starters. The shrimp and cheese grits are difficult to make. Enjoy:happy096

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

My friend I guess it depends on where you are from:happy097

19. Griz

Griz Member

There was another thread about grits around here somewhere I think. I put in my world famous grits and greens recipe.

Will N.

20. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What do I do with them?

Not buy 'em.

The texture is just :prrr