Grounds

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by La Pedrera, Jul 9, 2007.

1. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

What's the advantages of one ground over another? I've been doing some reading, and it seems that the fully hollow ground is the best for these..

is it a better shave.. better feel.. ?? Easier to handle?

Read something about the Theirs Issard "singing" blade.. is that just a kind of "cool" thing to have, or is it actually something if imortance to the blades?

I'm kind of thinking it's just like having a properly honed blade, so it has the "ting" to being well made..

for those who smoke, think along the lines of the "ding" of teh opening of the Dunhill lighters... <-- if you need to ask, you don't know. :cool:

2. herzi

herzi Active Member

A lot of people say "Full hollow ground" is the best because you get closer shaves. I think it's just personal opinion. I have a full hollow ground and some others. I think the full hollow ground is more difficult to handle and I'm not very used to it. I get closer shaves with others.
    The "singing" blade (the Dovo Prima Klang in one too) are ground different. They are thinner up to the back and so they have another sound when cutting the beard.
    I often hear that every razor is different and so you have to get used to every razor. I think it's just peronal opinion which kind of grinding is better.
    IMHO the ground is not so important. More important is to have a sharp blade.

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Check it: Here is some interesting stuff on razors, including the grinds. ;)

4. La Pedrera

La Pedrera New Member

great link. Thanks.
    ----------------
    The balance may be determined by opening the razor to approximately 110 degrees and resting it on the first finger at the pivot. If the razor is not well balanced the head of the razor will move either upward or downward.
    ----------------

once I get to a straigt razor, I'd be a bit weary of doing that. For both fear of it not being balanced and hurtling to the ground AND for fear of losing fleah. :)

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I also believe that even though grounds may vary it is, to me, of higher importance to have a sharp shave ready blade. I shave with different types of grounds, I can tell teh difference when I shave with a full hollow to a 3/4 to a wedge. As long as the blade is sharp and ready I like them all even a wedge.

Raf

6. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Although it's possible this could be right, I can't say as I agree with this definition of "balanced". I don't think it has anything to do with any equal weight distribution between blade and scales on both sides of the pivot.

To me, "balanced" is a condition that just "feels" right as the razor is whisked around the face. It's an ease of movement with the cutting edge that doesn't have distractions caused by the scales when it is being used. Scales can be too light or too heavy, but I just don't think they have to be equal at that 110 angle.

Since I've exposed myself as a devil's advocate on this, I might as well include part two. Classic Shaving has some really good info for all of us and I briefly scoped out the page they had on grinds. I'd have to say that the grind they call a full hollow has been called a "hamburg" grind for a very long time and I have also seen different degrees in grinds that lead to a full hollow. From what I remember, somewhere around 14 to 16 stages. Anyone else with memories close to this?

Wedge is easy... that's a straight line from spine to cutting edge. (or close to straight for all practical purposes)

1/4 hollow grind is a single radius from spine to cutting edge as used by the older Wostenholm's, Rogers, and W&B's.

1/2 hollow to full hollow... a bunch of varied-length straight cross-sections of blade width that sweep to the edge of the spine with different radius points. These varied, on average from 1/2 to 3 inches.

Here are a couple of pics of vintage razor manufacturing machines and grinding stones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. herzi

herzi Active Member