Group Buy: Olivewood Shaving Brush Handles

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by FlightMedic, Apr 15, 2015.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I envision a day where nearly every SOTD photo inn TSD has an olive wood brush...not unlike the recent Plisson craze. ;):D

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  2. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

I like them because even if that is true every one will be different due to the drastic changes in grain from one brush to another.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Just curious what your deadline is on this group buy?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  4. FlightMedic

I didn't expect it to fill up this fast so my plan was to see if we got 12 brushes and then make a post for last minute stragglers or fence straddles to jump on the bandwagon. At this rate that may be within the next 2 days.

I will stay in touch with the seller and if the orders slow down significantly or we reach an order size he can't provide in a reasonable amount of time due to production limitations we will pull the plug and place the order.

PatrickA51 and JR Reyes like this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Okay ... Thanks.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

PatrickA51 and wristwatchb like this.
  7. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Please add me.. Those are beautiful.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I get a feeling the rest of the year will be very Krona and Olive Wood themed

PatrickA51 likes this.
  9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

With a depth of 22mm wouldn't that be deep enough for a Silvertip for face lathering ?

PatrickA51 and ram57 like this.
  10. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Okay since I have never built/set a knot myself, how do you determine the appropriate depth to set it? Is it strictly a YMMV, personal preference thing?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  11. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

That's the beauty of this. You can test fit it and if it is to low just put a coin in the bottom to raise it up. I only used enough epoxy to cover the bottom of the base of the knot and its been doing great for months.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

You would need to find a knot that is 25 or 26mm in 67mm height so that would be 45mm loft which is probably what you would want for face lathering. I think if you went to a 24mm by 67 this would lead probably be too much splay as their would be less density in the knot as the silvertip blooms. Might get away with a higher loft if you use a two band, HMB or Manchurian. You can always add a nickel or a quarter to raise the height of the knot if you find the 67mm to low to your liking. Best to set, test then glue when you get the density you want.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  13. FlightMedic

Well this list filled up rather quickly so here is what I have decided to do:

I am going to collect payment and I will put up the extra money to place the order for 15 handles, this will fill all requests below and leave me with 3 extras to keep or sell to someone who was late to the party. The seller confirmed that he has 15 on hand so this will also decrease lead time to just the required shipping time from Israel.

I do not wish to post my PayPal account on the open forum so please keep an eye on your private inbox for my incoming message.

The List:
    1. @FlightMedic
    2. @SDK
    3. @BigMark
    4. @trey06dmd
    5. @2grubswrestle1
    6. @2grubswrestle1
    7. @david of central florida
    8. @Boojum1
    9. @clint64
    10. @wristwatchb
    11. @TheFiveO
    12. @FlightMedic
    13. @ram57
    14. @Redrock
    15. @Jayaruh

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    trey06dmd likes this.
  14. FlightMedic

Private messages have been sent to all Group Buy members.

Anyone wishing to grab one (or more) of the last three brushes please post here and then send me a private message for the payment info.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Private message received and money sent. Thanks for putting this together.

16. SDK

SDK it's his fault

PM and payment sent. Thanks again for putting this together!

17. FlightMedic

Only 2 left!

Now who's up for a Silvertip Knot Group Buy?:signs136::rofl:

18. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I have one already or I would be in, but the handles are very forgiving to water. Mine has not discolored or cracked in the least

trey06dmd likes this.
  19. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I'm considering a WD high mountain based on a description of the 2 someone posted from Larry once. But I'm not sure yet.

wristwatchb and 2grubswrestle1 like this.
  20. FlightMedic

One More Available!

I was actually joking about the Silvertip Group Buy but just out of curiosity I did send an email to a few suppliers... :git:

TheFiveO, wristwatchb and trey06dmd like this.