Guide for the new DE user?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by NewShaver1, Jan 13, 2009.

1. NewShaver1

NewShaver1 New Member

I am still working with cartridge razors and I was reading the thread on the Parker razor http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10346- I did order something similar to this - the Parker 71R. But after doing some extensive reading here, maybe one of the vets could give the newbies a stickie on what to choose or look for in a safety razor? I haven't looked at all of Mantics videos to see if he made a guide so will be looking. Maybe its something that you buy and report back, and thats how the collection starts - don't know.

I have to admit, I didn't want to spend too much on it as I don't know if I'll like it - that's why I chose the Parker 71R for my first DE.

I appreciate the responses.

*For those that remember - I hope you thought of the song for "Guide for the Married Man" when you read the title!*

2. tom myers

tom myers Member

The problem with any of us attempting to give a new user advice on the razor he should buy is that everyone tends to have a different favorite razor. If we, the experienced users, don't agree on what is the best model, then we can't really expect to know just what razor will best suit you.

My only advice is that you don't need to spend very much to get started. Personally, I tend toward the vintage Gillettes when talking about double edge razors. My favorite razor, however, is actually a hundred year old single edge Gem Jr. of the "lather catcher" design.

You should be able to pick up a good serviceable Gillette Tech or Superspeed for just a few dollars. These are both rather gentle shavers. Often an old razor, when cleaned up, will look and work as good as when it was new. These razors were built to last virtually forever. The 1912 Gem single edge models were also very common and can be purchased for just a few dollars.

You need to find a razor to start with and then get some good blades. After that, you should follow about three general guidelines:
    1. Good preparation for your shave . . . lots of water and a good lather. Best to use a good brush and good shaving soap or cream. (No canned foam or gel.)
    2. Use no pressure on the razor and watch the angle you use. I suggest you see Mantic's videos on this subject.
    3. Don't expect a great shave the first time. It takes a little practice to get the angle and the direction of the strokes right for your face and beard, so be patient.

Once you get started, you've already found the place to come to get further help and advice.

Regards,
    Tom

champagneinhand likes this.
  3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

There are some posts and threads on various DEs and what to start with, but like Tom says, DE razors can be very subjective. As far advice once you get started? Beard prep is essential, and "no pressure" should be a cardinal rule.

4. fatcity

fatcity New Member

I'm new to DE as well - from everything I read, and opinions I perused, Merkur HD was the recommendation. I dropped $35 bucks on one, and after three weeks am still having some irritation (yeah, yeah, its less than stellar technique that is the culprit, most likely).

However, am looking at picking up a vintage Tech for cheap, hoping it will be a bit milder (at least until my technique improves).

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

The more aggressive the razor, the quicker you'll figure out your technique :D

6. fatcity

fatcity New Member

If that's the case, I'll go pull the blade off my lawn mower! (much more of a grassy scent than Musgo, too)

7. JimR

JimR Active Member

There is a lot of subjectivity here, but two names keep coming up for newbies:
    Gillette Tech and Schick Krona. Either one of those will be a great shaver, and neither of them are at all expensive.

8. NewShaver1

NewShaver1 New Member

Ok thanks guys - thanks for the responses.

I am pouring over e-bay now for either the Gillette or the Schick or both.
    I'll post what I pick up -

9. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

If there's a second-hand store near you, check it out. There's a place near me called Bubba's Garage that has a little of *everything*. Found quite a few GEMs and three-piece Gillettes. Came away with a 1950 (V3) Super Speed with a Blue Blade dispenser that still had "fresh" blades, and a single Thin blade, all for $15. Washed the case with dish soap and it was looking pretty. The head was missing a good bit of plating on the underside, but otherwise it looked good and was in fine mechanical shape. Shaves just fine (granted, I have only 1.5 DE shaves under my belt so far).

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think the Gillette Superspeed comes up as often as those two razors also. I love my Superspeed and it is on the mild end, but not so extreme it's hard to get a close shave.

11. helowrench

helowrench Member

As a new to DE shaver myself, I will pass along my line of thinking and the choices made along the way.
    I chose, and recieved an adjustable Gillette M1 "slim" (handle)
    The mthought process was that this would allow me a little bit of leeway when choosing blades in that I can dial in some aggresiveness in the milder blades, or dial out some on the more aggressive blades.
    Then I made a bad decision and started with a Merkur Super blade. I now know that I cannot use that blade. No setting in that razor worked for me with that blade. Now I have switched to a no-name blade that is available at Wal-Mart, CVS, Albertsons etc etc. It is an American Personna from what I am told. I am very happy with this blade, and have 3 full shaves (head included) on this blade.

It is a trial and error kind of process, unfortunately it comes down to a combination of all of the variables, including your skin type and beard type.

Rob