Guilty Pleasures

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Shawna, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Admit it, you have them, guilty pleasures that is. We all do. Whether it’s one thing, two things, or ten, there is something we indulge in when we think no one is looking. Why are we embarrassed by the items that bring us such joy, that soothe our souls, which make us happy?

Guilt in itself has a negative connotation, and rightly so. Guilt is defined as the fact or state of having committed an offense, crime, violation, or wrong, especially against moral or penal law. Ack! Who would want that word associated with anything remotely bringing us pleasure?!? Another side of bacon please, minus the guilt.

Pleasure, on the other hand, is defined as an enjoyment or satisfaction derived from what is to one’s liking, gratification or delight.

Guilt = bad, Pleasure = good. When we talk about guilty pleasures, the last thing that comes to mind is crimes, violations, or wrongdoing, at least in the “criminal” sense of the word. But tell someone that you enjoy listening to Wham! on the weekends, you might get some sideways glances, and your taste in music may be called “criminal”!

Food, music, clothing, and television, these are all areas that we indulge our hidden delights … behind closed doors. Who among us hasn’t gotten sucked in to some sappy TV show from the 80’s, sang along to ABBA’s Dancing Queen, or secretly wears a t-shirt at home you’ve had since you were a kid? We wouldn’t dare show any inclination in public that we hold these items in high regard, it’s just too embarrassing. In general, we are accustomed to going with the flow and outwardly conforming to what society expects of us, our family expects of us. But seriously, about that ABBA collection you’ve been stashing. Be proud!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFrGuyw1V8s&ob=av2e

Shaving related guilty pleasures come in all forms and fashions, from any number of acquisition disorders (and let’s just say right now, there are A LOT of them) to shaving multiple times a day to shaving parts of our body we don’t normally shave … just to get that satisfaction. That satisfying stroke of the face (Hey! Or Legs!) known as faceturbating (in my case legsturbating) throughout the day and secretly doing a happy dance knowing we get to do it all again tomorrow; that is a guilty pleasure we get to enjoy in public.

So what if we own 9 different variations of the same brush, 20 varieties of cream that all smell similar to each other, blades that all do only one thing (gasp!) and 15 different razors that just hold a blade. We want variety darn it, we want to walk in our shave dens and bask in the glory of ALL of the items that bring us our “me” time. And let’s face it Folks, shaving is one Guilty Pleasure we’re not afraid to admitting to!

Bring it on people; let’s hear what your Guilty Pleasures are!!

2. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I agree, shaving isn't a guilty pleasure I have a problem sharing with others, they may think I'm out of my mind but its not as bad as when I'm at home wearing a Hawaiian shirt watching Miami Vice, or Magnum PI...and yes I have a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers.

I can tell you one thing, I sure had better dibs in those days, silk pants, dinner jackets, fancy house in Fiji, ahh. I still use the bedspread from those days as well, it was in the background of the article I posted.

fiji.jpg

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

My guilty pleasure is I'm a reality t.v. junkie. Big Brother, Amazing Race, Survivor, Master Chef, Hell's Kitchen are the bomb. I belong to the forums for them, subscribe to blogs, follow on Twitter, you name it and I eat it up. That and freezer pops, you know the long skinny plastic bag thing with colored liquid you put in the freezer, pure heaven they are.

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Thought provoking article. For me the shaving hobby is a guilty pleasure. Its enjoyment is constantly attended by nagging questions. Is the hobby a healthy distraction or a evasion from and distraction from other parts of my life? We all joke about acquisition disorders or cheer them on in others but is obsession, compulsion, addiction , fetishism healthy or uneasy laughter? I have enjoyed the hobby but never been completely at home with some of its aspects which seems to have gottten a hold of me .

5. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

Oh.... and here I thought you were talking about things like dalliances with the upstairs maid....

6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

A very interesting thoughts. I really enjoy the pleasure of traditional shaving. Traditional shaving is liking traveling in a time machine each morning. You go back to a simpler time, you slow down and savour each part of the shave. Taking time to build a pillow mound later, mapping your face to deliver a DFS. It is the mixture of the various smells that fill the bathroom.
    My other pleasure is fountain pens and writing. I write to several people from all over the world , getting to know others, what hey do in their lives.
    Of course the pleasure of this forum the exchange of both friendship and thoughts.

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

Spot on article. Very thought provoking questions for us to each examin ourselves, and see just what do we hide from the world and why? As for my guilty pleasure, I like to surround myself with classic and antiquity just because I do not always feel the most comfortable in our modern surroundings. I would much rather set in the parlor and listen to my 33 1/3's or 45's than watch television. But my favorite past time is still sitting in our library reading classic murder mysteries in my rocking chair with a nice cup of tea or glass of wine.

8. Mr. Imperial

Mr. Imperial Member

Ironically, in my undergrad days we (a dorm floor of 15 guys) would put on Dancing Queen to get hyped up to take our finals. Weird, but it worked.

Nowadays, my guilty pleasure is being a nerd. I'm not really a spendthrift when it comes to shaving (compared to other people! ;)), but don't get me started about video games.

9. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Nice article, it's so true! I would think my guilty pleasure is going to the ballet, broadway, or opera. I LOVE going there! I was raised in a family that thought these activities were "stupid and below us" (forgive the language). My parents and oldest brother still speak sarcasticly when I mention the lates broadway I went to or how I am excited for the next opera. I also don't mention it at work. (Not too many oilfield people have an appreciation for it) But what can I say...Beethoven's opera 'Fidelio' is being performed this season...how can you not be excited?

10. mwleach58

mwleach58 Active Member

"There is no snobbery like the snobbery of those who aspire to a lower standard."

stingraysrock likes this.
  11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think that my guilty pleasures shall remain unknown.

If I felt free enough to share, I would not feel all that guilty about enjoying them and it would just be a pleasure.

newb, battle.munky and hoglahoo like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

But this is revenge for those who historically have used European high culture to make status and class distinctions and separate themselves from those" with dirty fingernails". We need time for cultural and intellectual development and appreciation , Americans don't have the time or peace of mind for it as we say work and making money are ends in themselves , this isn't a individual thing but a cultural one. Too, obviously the old static division between high/low culture has been blurred and you can see even Literary Crit defences of Wrestling fandom.:)

13. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

What use to be guilty pleasures is now a way of life, "almost". That wonderful morning shave can take place anytime it wants to between 5:00 AM and 10:00 AM. Alarm clock, I don't need no stinking alarm clock because I have no set time to get up. I watch what I want, listen to what I want, read what I want, and eat what I want. The things I use to think were pleasures, like fast cars and loose women are long gone. Do I have any guilty pleasures? No I don't. The one pleasure that I do have, I've earned. I'M RETIRED.

14. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I agree with Johnny on this one. Maybe it's the retired thing or perhaps the age or maybe both. I don't have guilty pleasures. The pleasures that I do enjoy, I make sure I share them with loved ones and people that are in my life, proudly. If I thought that it was a guilt, then I wouldn't participate.
    I would list them here, but there are too many. Do others think I'm nuts? Maybe. Do I care? Yeah, to a degree, but not enough to change what I do. Shaving old school is something that I have enjoyed from the first time that I lathered using a brush and soap, then lustfully enjoying each stroke until I have quelled the desire to be smooth as a babys butt.
    I don't have many pleasures, but the ones that I do have, I enjoy completely and with much gusto. And, like others, I try and spread that enjoyment by actions instead of words. Do I like having 16 different scents for each day, Yep! Will I ever have enough? Nope! Does a shiny face after a thorough shave make me feel accomplished? Absolutely!
    Problem with pleasure is, if you have too many, then you will not have enough time in a day to enjoy them the way that you would like to. So I say, ROCK on my friends! If it feels good and doesn't hurt others, then do it with pride and a big smile.

15. Shawna

Thank You Dan! "ROCK on my friends! If it feels good and doesn't hurt others, then do it with pride and a big smile."!

I could live by that mantra .. wait, I DO live by that mantra! :)

I am not afraid to say:

• I love Kenny Rogers, not only do we share a (maiden) last name, but darn it ... I always liked to know why Ruby went to town.
    • Cheetos, this is manna from Heaven, IMO.
    • Bottled water ... Yes, I know I could filter my own. This is wasteful of me, but I LIKE going to my icebox, grabbing a bottle, and chugging it. It's so cold and tasty.
    • Cat treats. While I don't consume these, the Trigger (aka Trix) does. He has to Quality Check each kind prior to me mixing them all in one bag and dispensing them as needed into recyclable containers (Hey! who said getting rid of guilt was easy?!?). Then, the treats MUST be dispensed in an arcing, throw motion to maximize the cat's ability to think he is actually capturing prey. :)
    • Starbucks. Period.
    • Washrags. These must be of a certain brand, folded in a certain way, and dispensed one at a time. That is all.
    • Shave time. Welp, that is my time. If I use an entire 40 gallon tank of hot water on this process, so be it. It is my time, to ensure all components of my shave are working properly and are in good order.

So you see, my pleasures are no secret. And trust me, there are many more quirks to my everyday needs than I have listed, but that is for Jeff to worry over ... :p

As Dan so eloquently phrased it ... 'do it with pride and a big smile"!!! I think I will Sir!

16. Yes yes and yes! I am also retired (recently, after a lay-off) and it is like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders. Now I am vigorously engaged in enjoying each day for what it is.

17. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Shawna, thank you for writing this article. It is very thought provoking! I must say, I don't even think about shaving if I can't enjoy it!

18. m0j0j0eman

m0j0j0eman Active Member

Green Chili Double Meat Whataburger...that is a guilty pleasure.

19. Shawna

One of my Medical Supervisors made cheesecake today ... I had to have a small slice. It was heavenly. :angelic007:

20. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeup. I have enjoyed reading all of you folks' admissions but I'm in Dale's corner on this one and have refrained from commentary up to now for the same reason. I do have them but to crack their seal would give it all away. I actually told myself to just stop checking this oh so cool thread so I wouldn't be tempted to fess up, and felt like a douche for not commenting on a really :signs097: until I just had to catch up on it and saw Dale's post that kinda said what I wasn't.

Really good thread BG. It's one of those rare things that made me get all introspective. :happy088: