Guitar legend-inventor Les Paul dies at age 94

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Bronco, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

By LUKE SHERIDAN, AP
    47 minutes ago

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — Les Paul, who invented the solid-body electric guitar later wielded by a legion of rock 'n' roll greats, died Thursday of complications from pneumonia. He was 94.

According to Gibson Guitar, Paul died at White Plains Hospital. His family and friends were by his side.

As an inventor, Paul also helped bring about the rise of rock 'n' roll with multitrack recording, which enables artists to record different instruments at different times, sing harmony with themselves, and then carefully balance the tracks in the finished recording.

The use of electric guitar gained popularity in the mid-to-late 1940s, and then exploded with the advent of rock in the mid-'50s.

2. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

What sad news.

He made made a great contribution to popular music, and will be missed.

goshawk

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

yet another great this year..... :(

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

The man lived a long life and did a lot of cool stuff. Hope he rests in peace. Big welcoming commitee waiting for him...

5. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yes, Les Paul did a lot for the music world, and he helped to make music so much more enjoyable. May he Rest in Peace.

6. razorjoe

razorjoe New Member

Les Paul dies

When you are gifted to play music and also invent the electric type of guitars he made I think the Lord will give you some extra years here on earth to share that gift. I like Fender Bass guitars but I love that Les Paul rythum guitars.:sad024

7. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

A sad day for guitar lovers every where.

8. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent