Hair Tonic anyone?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Darkbulb, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've been using pomade, wax, gel, etc and wanted to try a more 'traditional' product that would enable me to style my hair and give it at least some moderate hold but without the grease/residue that you sometimes get with gel.

SO, this morning was the first morning I tried Brylcreem and I have to say I'd rate this product very highly.
    It really only took a 'dab'. I massaged into my damp post-shower hair and had an easy time styling it.
    It's been about 3-4 hours now and what I like about it is that it has kept the style very well but at the same time doesn't 'lock' the hair into position. It can still move.

I was a bit surprised to how shiny it made my hair look though.
    I don't really mind it but I think I'd have to get used to it. I think I am still of some mindset that very shiny hair comes across as 'greasy and unclean'.

Maybe my ideal styling product would be something that works like Brylcreem but with less shine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
    Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  2. KnockOut Shave

KnockOut Shave Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried layrite?

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Hmmm...never.
    I'm reading a bit about it here http://www.layrite.com/ and I like the way the product is described.
    Do you like it?

4. KnockOut Shave

Yes I do. It has hold but it doesn't look or feel as though anything is in your hair.

Darkbulb likes this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Is it a pretty high shine like Brylcreem?

6. KnockOut Shave

I've never used that product but to me it didn't have much shine. I didn't need much of it though.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

"I just washed my hair and can't do a thing with it!" :D

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  8. rp_63

rp_63 Active Member

Looking at their photo gallery, they are even showing people who use it for their handle bar moustaches.

KnockOut Shave likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Had a haircut this past weekend and I have to say with a bit shorter hair the Brylcreem works great!
    I wasn't too sure about it in my longish (ok not long...more...'in need of a haircut'-long) hair as it felt/looked a bit greasy/odd - but in a fresh haircut with shorter hair the Brylcreem makes it look really slick :)

10. KnockOut Shave

Glad the brylcreem worked well for you.

11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Only problem now is that I feel like picking up a cigarette, slapping the behind of the secretary and have a martini lunch.

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

So, what's the problem? ;)

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Hmmm......

I'm going to try it next weekend!

crackstar likes this.
  14. KnockOut Shave

I wouldn't recommend that but this is a free country.

15. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Oil based pomades do the trick, but are kinda tough to get out. I used Murray's once and had to wash with Dawn three times before I got rid of it all. There are some good water based that work pretty good.

16. gillette24

gillette24 Active Member

I prefer Suave Groom and Clean. Works great. I get it off Amazon

17. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I used Suave for the first time today and it did work pretty good. By the way you can get it at Wal-Mart or most pharmacies.

18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I use Clubman hair tonic(in the cool/cold months), but I find I don't need it much because the Clubman shampoo is manageable enough.

19. Paul Turner

Wildroot is part of the Stephan chain, I believe.

20. Paul Turner

The Brylcreem song could be matched with Clubman's gels.....a little dab is all it takes.