Hamburger Neck ???????? ouch

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by newb, Jan 6, 2012.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

I've been a member for quite a while and I have good technique (most times). But today I did it again, Popped a feather (not my favourite blade, but I've got some to use up) into the Barbasol (darn aggressive unforgiving razor). What the heck was I thinking ? 1st pass WTG was nice. It was actually a DFS. Then I did a second pass XTG, still not bad , nice and smooth. I should have left it alone. But I had a nice slick lather and decided to go for a 3rd pass ATG. I never do 3 passes with the Barbasol. What a disaster. I took a nice layer of epidermis off the neck. Now I'm left with a hamburger neck and I will not be able to shave for a few days until it clears up. It amazes me that I still get stupid and go against past practice. Back to the drawing board again.

2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Ugh. Never can be good when you read the title to the thread and it has "Hamburger Neck" anywhere in the title......

Sorry to hear the supremacy of the suck which was your experience today...don't even want to think about it.

Bird Lives likes this.
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

The neck skin is usually the first to go...lol
    That combo does have great potential, but you really need a negative pressure touch...and maybe should have settled for 2 passes plus a little touch-up as opposed to a full ATG pass....You'll be able to read it....after I fixed neck-burger a few times I got better at reading it....;)

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Some of the Barbasol razors may very well be the same as the PAL razor that I have from the 1930s based on the photos I have seen of the 1930s version of the Barbasol.

Here is the PAL.

Quad.jpg

This is a very aggressive razor and the only blade that I found that I can use in it is a Dorco ST301 and only for 2 days at the most.
    I have tried several other blades at other times and each time I had to let my face heal for days.

With a Dorco ST301 I can get an 18 hr to 24 hr shave but with a fair amount of irritation.

This is the reason why I will not invest in an R-41, I have all the brute force I need in this.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I love Feather blades in the Barbasol.

It is a very rare occasion that I go more then two passes with any razor. It doesn't matter the razor or blade, more then that chews me up.

6. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

oof. happens to me, too. shredded my neck the other day just like you. the good news is that it heals and the memory of the event is enough to prevent it from happening for some time.

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

I usually never do more than 2 passes with an aggressive razor. I like to finish with the L6. (the ultimate blade buffer for me) But today I went against my best judgement, and I paid the piper. The Barbasol usually gives a DFS with only 2 passes. I know better than to push it. But today stupid took over.:( Bad shaves still happen even after a couple years of consistent d/e use. Maybe someday I'll learn.:)

PanChango likes this.
  8. newb

newb Resident Newb

Wow another razor I must have ! Let the search begin. Pal d/e is on the radar.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Been there. I hate it when that happens.
    I'm just glad brain farts don't stink.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Some days are great, and some not so much.

You can't really enjoy the good shaves without an occasional reminder of what a crappy shave feels like.

CyanideMetal and swarden43 like this.
  11. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Hamburger Neck is a great expression, loaded with deep meanings such as: experienced boogering, been there, mental pain and neck pain combined, etc. Perhaps a new acronym "HN" needs to be created to capture this painful condition-without need for further elaboration, and join other shave code-talk such as "BBS, " "DFS," and "5 Blades."

12. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

:signs011:

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Now thats another one of your's I must 'make my own'.....Dude, I'm sorry if I'm copping too many of your 'licks'....I can't help myself....lol

battle.munky likes this.