Hammond 5/8 Extra Hollow Ground MAGNETIC

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Gibbs, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

I got in this Razor a couple of days ago, a Hammond EXTRA "made from Finest Sheffield Silver Steel". on the tang. I had not handled it much and was looking at how flat the edge was (it needed just a bit of work) and was using my diamond DMT steel as a guide on it's flatness, when I noticed that it is magnetized. Kind of odd I thought, but I also saw a razor on ebay that's name was "Electric" and it boasted "magnetized" right on the tang of the razor. Honed up real nice and gives a very nice shave. Cost.... I was looking on ebay REAL late one night and saw this as a new listing, and it had a Buy-It-Now of $12.95. From all the pictures, I figured it might not be around too long on there, so at 2:15 AM (thereabout) I pressed the buy-it-now button and now have this razor. There are some odd spots on it, I thought were maybe rust blemishes or pitting, but on looking at the area closely with a 20X Lupe, it looks like it was a metal imperfection from the onset at manufacturing. I did research it a bit just before the buy, and it was made in Solingen Germany. Anyways, pics below.. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does appear to have quite a flat spot on the sides of the spine. I don't know if it shows up well enough, but you might see it in the pic of the blade that shows "Extra Hollow Ground". Looking at the front of the razor, it starts in with the thin part of the blade about half way down, so I wouldn't consider it an extra hollow anymore. Dimensionally, it's a little under 5/8 but I am wondering it maybe it was a 6/8 from the onset, or would a 5/8 loose that much edge material? One picture (blade close up) looks like it's right at the stabilizer area.