Hand Blown Glass Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JayKay, May 1, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

So I have a friend out here who owns his own glass blowing studio and he was planning on teaching me to blow glass this summer but I don't have anything I really want made of glass. Than I got thinking. You can make some pretty thick glass pieces and blow it hollow as if you were making a handle. My question is, would there be any interest in a hand blown glass shaving brush? I would fill it with either best badger or silver tip that I would buy all at once if there was interest and they were up to quality standards. I would have to make them rather thick so they aren't easily breakable when lathering in a metal or ceramic mug. Anybody interested?

(I'm just checking if theres interest so that I can decide whether I should learn to blow glass or not)

2. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

Do you think the badger knot would slip out of a glass socket - maybe you would have to etch it for the glue to hold properly? The idea sounds interesting.

3. JayKay

I could easily etch the glass with a dremel or even create little etched nibbs for the knot to stick to. They make epoxys that will stick to just about anything these days. Once theyre stuck, you could probably tow a car in 100 degree heat.

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

I would love to see one when you get it done, sounds cool....it the class colored? Neat idea :cool:

5. JayKay

I think I could use colored glass. I'll probably do it sometime over the summer.

6. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

What about a blown glass scuttle? Now that would be pretty!

7. JayKay

That would be gorgeous. But thats way above my ability. I'm thinking blow a bubble, stretch it out, shape it. Its simple yet decently hard.

8. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

how cool would a matched set be....

9. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I'm thinking you want a solid chunk of glass with a hole for the knot. Too fragile if hollow. And keep it away from candles!! :D

10. JayKay

Haha. You'd be supprised how durable some double walled glass handles could be.

11. Chris L

Chris L New Member

Where would you get the badger hair?

Chris L

12. JayKay

I got my sources :D

13. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

14. JayKay

Rodd! Blowing up my spot :D

Haha. I'll most likey be using the knots from the golden nib based on Rodds recomendation of them being soft and dense.

15. likwidoxigen

likwidoxigen New Member

Would you be willing to coat the glass in a layer of clear resin for protection? That would also help keep the knot in place as well. It sure sounds like an awesome idea i'd love to see pics of a sample after you get to them!

16. JayKay

I probably wouldnt be willing to coat the glass in resin but I'd consider selling the handles seperately so you could do it your self. I think with all the use it gets the resin will degrade in clarity over time and eventually look akward.

17. likwidoxigen

likwidoxigen New Member

I guess that does make sense. I've got terrible luck with glass products. Thanks for the info!

18. mercV12

mercV12 Member

Here's an old Fuller brush that I just restored. I imagine they would look much likt this:

Attached Files: