Hanging a medicine cabinet . . .

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ThePossum, Oct 22, 2010.

1. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Just got an "repro" antique medicine cabinet from an antique dealer friend. Want to mount it on the wall in my bathroom but do not want to drill any holes in the cabinet or the wall to mount it.

Thought about using some of the sticky strips I can get at my local ACE hardware store to do it. I have used these strips to hang my two razor racks with great results. But the razor racks are not nearly as heavy as the cabinet loaded with A/S and EDT stuff. The loaded cabinet weighs 9.5 lbs.

Have it sitting on the top of the vanity right now but the door is hard to open as the cabinet was really designed to hang on the wall.

Anyone else think that if I can get the sticky strips rated with enough weight that it will hold on the wall?

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I don't know about tacky strips, but what about Liquid Nails? Or several two inch wide strips of industrial strength Velcro?

3. greenhorn

greenhorn New Member

How thick is the back of the cabinet and how was it originally hung? I have hung antique mirrors by attaching figure eight shaped pieces of metal on the back. I screwed one end into the mirror on the back side and left the other end exposed where it would hit a stud for the other screw. I have also screwed a piece of trim to the wall under a cabinet to hold most of the weight.

4. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I didn't make clear that I do not want to drill any holes in the wall for this cabinet. So your idea will not work. I will have this thing sitting on about a 1" deep molding that surrounds the counter top and it should support most of the weight. Thanks for the idea though.

Need to talk to the guys at the hardware store I am sure they can help too!

5. thatguyjeff

thatguyjeff New Member

If there's a mirror on it, I wouldn't risk it.

Even if you can find some sort of tape/tacky whatever that's satisfactorily weight rated, your bathroom is likely the wettest room in the house. Constant humidity is likely cause the tape to fail sooner or later.

Liquid nails is an option, but only if you don't plan to move the thing ever, even if moving out of the house. That stuff is basically permanent. Any attempt to move/remove it once it's set will damage the wall and probably the cabinet too.

Why are you so opposed to drilling into the wall?

6. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I guess drilling would be the last option. I am not that handy with the tools that I could ever get it straight or even figure where the studs are. And to get somebody to do it for me would cost more than I want to spend.

But after I get a chance to talk to the guys at the hardware store I may just end up giving it a shot drilling and using screws.

Thanks all for your help.

7. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Where are pics of your cabinet Mr Possum??? Would love to see it!

8. CraigarTA

CraigarTA Member

The only other option over drilling holes is make a pocket in the wall to mount the cabinet inside the wall.

That is if the glass door is larger than the cabinet

9. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Personally I wouldn't risk an antique or my shave gear using those tacky strips no matter how strong the commercials claim they are.

If you do decide to go the "drilling" route (which is the way I would go) it's not terribly difficult even if you're not that handy. A few inexpensive items and it'll look perfect. Get yourself some drywall anchors and screws and a cheap level. Depending if your cabinet has some kind of hanging hooks already installed you might need two of those as well. Drilling is actually a misnomer. You can screw in drywall anchors without drilling any pilot holes. Just push your philips head screwdriver partially through and then screw the anchor.

Then all you do is decide where you want to hang it, screw in one drywall anchor and then the screw. Hang one end of the cabinet. Now place the level on top of the unit and adjust it until you see center bubble. Mark the spot on the wall where the other anchor goes and repeat process. I have hung numerous cabinets, pictures, curtain rods and so on using this method. Never had a problem yet. Good luck.

10. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Bryce,
    I have some industrial strength double sided tape that would probably work. Depending on the size and the fact that the weight is on the molding one screw might work. But like Shep says, you need to be careful here. If I had a pic I would know better. PM me if you need further assistance. I can always walk you through it over the phone.

Alan

11. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Thanks Shep for a great explanation of how you would do it. I can understand that and most likely could accomplish what you are telling me.

But I do not really want to drill the cabinet or the wall. The wall is paneling over plaster and wood lath. Don't really know where the furring strips are that were used to hang the paneling but most likely could find them. And if they were placed so as I could hang the cabinet just where I want it could work. But really just too much work for this unhandy guy.

Have decided to give the sticky things a go. Fortunately the cabinet does not have any mirror on it. Just a fine screen door type mesh over the opening in the door.

I figure by setting it on the small ledge that is the back splash for the vanity that if it does fall it won't fall far and the stuff that could be broken can be easily replaced. The door does have a locking mechanism that should keep it closed even if it falls so no glass should get out of the cabinet.

Have orders some really heavy weight water proof sticky strips from my local ACE Hdwe and should get them today. When I get it hung I will take some pix of it as well as the other similar cabinet and my razor racks for you all to see.

Maybe I am making a mistake by doing it this way but in my 62 yrs it will not be the first one I have made.

Thanks all for your suggestions and instructions. This is what forums like this are for.