Happy New year from Detroit, Michigan

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Sohrab Arora, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Sohrab Arora

Sohrab Arora Member

Hi

I'm new to this forum.
    My name is Sohrab Arora. I'm a 35 year old urologist from India currently doing a fellowship in robotic surgery at Detroit, Michigan.

DE shaving comes to me naturally. I started shaving at 17 with one of my father's rather aggressive DE razors back in India. Didn't get a single nick or weeper on my first shave ever!

I tried cartridge shaving for a few months in my med school, but didn't enjoy the experience and kept coming back to DE. In 2010, Gillette introduced this "Gillette guard" single blade cartridge razor (has anyone used it?), which gave me a shave comparable to DE, and also allowed me to travel.

Since then, the "Guard" has been my main shaver until recently, when I bought some new DE razors from Amazon (Merkur 37c), razorock (German 37, old type, and mission) and Yaqi (scalloped and beast) with Feather Hi-stainless blades (love them!). I've also bought the razorock "what the puck" soaps and loving them so far!

I was exploring (polarizing!) reviews about Arko shave sticks on amazon when I found this forum.

Good to be a part of the forum!

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas. I love the Arko Shave Stick soap. Inexpensive, and very slick. BTW, have you ever tried a Straight Razor?? Even better shaves than a DE razor.

brit and RyX like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  4. Sohrab Arora

Sohrab Arora Member

Thanks!

No I haven't. Should I bite the bullet?
    Sorry I posted even before I could finish my post.

dmshaver, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes, if you feel comfortable doing it. Just make sure you have it honed properly, have a good strop, and watch several videos on how to use a Straight Razor, prior to actually using it.

brit, RyX and Sohrab Arora like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Sohrab, welcome to The Shave Den! Great first post! A few of us congregate on the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread to learn together and have some fun. Please consider joining us as you can.

RyX, Sohrab Arora and DaltonGang like this.
  7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums. Great to have you here.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Sohrab Arora likes this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Welcome to TSD

9. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

05418EBC-70C9-45F7-9FA2-A6C83D096D63.png Welcome from New Mexico!

Sohrab Arora likes this.
  10. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hello sir! Welcome.

Sohrab Arora likes this.
  11. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Namaste Sohrab! Welcome from Oregon. Arko is one of the odd children in wet shaving. People tend to either love it or hate it, with very few in between.

RyX and Sohrab Arora like this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Sohrab Arora likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Sohrab @Sohrab Arora! Glad you found us, even more so that you signed up and are participating. Being new to the Wet Shave community you'll have questions. This is your own personal thread right here so ask away. Plenty of knowledgeable folks will be along to offer advice, opinions, even actual information.

You went straight to a couple favorites of mine. I like the sharpness of Feather Hi-Stainless DE blades. They cost a little more that some other brands, but they give good reduction. TSD doesn't have a specific Forum for the discussion of disposable DE or SE blades. Everyone develops their preferences as time goes by and the discussion tends to end in "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV).

I recently swapped some gear with another member (that happens a lot around here) and received a barely use tub of RazoRock What The Puck Lime Burst. Now I'd like to pick up the other two in that series. Over the years I've tried a few soaps spanning the range from very inexpensive like ARKO, Palmolive, & Godrej (good stuff) to mid-high priced. That WTP soap is a great bargain for the quality of lather. I'm really liking the lime scent, too. It goes well with Pinaud Lime Sec aftershave. What are your thoughts on the Blue & Orange scents?

Frijolero, Sohrab Arora and brit like this.
  14. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama!

Sohrab Arora likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome to the den..lots of great people here, check out the 30 dc crew..great place to learn and share..de is a great way to shave, but there are other great ways as well..with equally great results..have fun and great shaves..

Frijolero and Sohrab Arora like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sohrab Arora likes this.
  17. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Welcome!

Sohrab Arora likes this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Sohrab Arora likes this.
  19. Sohrab Arora

Sohrab Arora Member

Hi! I didn't expect the community to be so warm and welcoming and the forums to be so vibrant! I'm glad to be here.

I've started using the orange puck. It has a mild orange fragrance, more like an orange candy rather than a fresh orange. I have this habit of seeing the bottom of the tub/tube before starting a new puck, so I'm in the same boat as you (have used only one scent so far). Having said that, it is a hard soap and won't finish soon, so I know I'll end up trying the blue one sooner than i expect. I'll let you know when i do.

Before this soap, I was using the Vi-John shaving cream from India. I still have four 150g tubes left!

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @Sohrab Arora from here in western NY. Glad you decided to join us at TSD. Make sure you try some of the fine soaps at Stirling soap co.

Frijolero likes this.