Hard Luck Slant pass-around

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Sep 25, 2020.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I know I said I wouldn't do it, but I have enough "blems" that I wouldn't feel right about selling to do this, and there's enough variety to make it worthwhile.

Four piece german slant, Single ring, Old Type & Tech will be in this. I'm including a brass spiral knurled handle from PAA, that I knocked down the sharp edges on.

The single ring is in there mostly to give you guys a look at what a Gillette version of a thin handle Valencia would have looked like. It's a rough shaver, and just plumb wore out. If anyone does use it, you got to hold the blade tabs to center the blade. It's a rough shave because it's worn, not because of the slanting.

The old type head is one that I use to adjust other old type slants, and it's getting a bit battered from going into the die so many times, but it still shaves great.

The tech head needs a replate, but is functionally fine.

The German 4 piece got slanted without a blade installed to protect the cap. Affects the aesthetics of the razor, but not the shave, which is frankly, stellar.

I'll upload a group photo tomorrow.

Who's in?

Edit: I'll throw in a Leresche 109 slant as well, so you guys can see what kind of razors were sold at five and dime (dollar) stores back in the day. This one was one that I tried to slant after I modified the jig to work with techs. It got scuffed up, but it was the worst of the lot.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    brit and twhite like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

This will be well worth your time to try these out. I personally have tried the old type and the Tech. I can say that slantified old types are a step up from the original.

The Tech slantified is transformed into a stellar razor. This is coming from a guy who shall we say was not a fan of Tech’s. I think with blade choice this will appeal to the majority of shavers. It may or may not rock your world. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Try it I say try it.

brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well then put me on the list please.
    Thanks!

tp

twhite and PLANofMAN like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    As I recall, you were interested in one of the Leresche 109's. There's a reason Leresche did not put their name on these razors. They were essentially disposable. That being said, they do slant well, and are good, if light razors. Their threading is incompatible with Gillette razors.

Do you want me to put yours in there, or would you like to try it out first?

1. @Terry
    2. ?

twhite and Terry like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Oh my, put it in there.
    I want one of those slants.
    Let me know what I owe you.
    Thanks!

tp

twhite likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    IMG_1601678509854.JPEG

Enrico, twhite and brit like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    From left to right:
    Post-war rectangle slot Tech Slant w/PAA brass handle
    Pre-war triangle slot, fat handle, Tech Slant
    Single Ring Slant
    Cosmo German 4-piece travel slant
    Leresche Modèle No. 901 slant
    Bottom:
    Old type slant

I would again like to stress that these are razors that are mechanically sound and good shavers, but are not suitable for me to sell. Just about all of these are the very first of each type that I slanted, and bear the marks of my early mistakes.

Terry and Droo78 like this.
  8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I received them today.
    Gonna start out using the "old type" first.
    I have it loaded with a new Feather blade ready for some action.

I'm really interested in the single ring, but I'll get to that one later.
    Till Tuesday.

Thanks!

tp

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well the first Gillette slant shave is in the book.
    I tried out the old type with a ball end handle.
    A new Feather blade for the normal set up along with bay run to add a nice touch.
    The razor did what a new should, so I had no issues. I'm not so sure it doesn't effect the shave, at least with a Feather blade. It seems to be just a hair more efficient than normal.
    I might compair it with a nonslanted one someday.
    A 3 pass head and a 3 pass face shave was the agenda today and all went well.
    Nice, clean and smooth like I like a shave to be.
    Efficiency seems to be good enough for me and the shave angle was as I expected.
    No issues, none, even going over the cut I received from smacking the corner of a TV hung in the air.
    I like it!
    I want one.

Tomorrow,
    Well I'll see...
    20201006_082512.jpg
    Thanks

tp

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The old "you shouldn't shave with that, you might hurt yourself," gets them every time. :p
    As you guys know, this project was created as a homage to the Valencia Slant. The two Gillette razors that come the closest to a Valencia are the Gillette Bulldog (comparable to the fat handle, long screw Valencia), and the Gillette single ring, (comparable to a thin handle, long screw Valencia). They load easier, and have a better weight and balance than the old types, imo.

Since you are going to use it anyways, double check the exposure and try to get it lined up as best you can. It's difficult to do with a slant. If you get it perfect, you'll get a nice smooth shave, but it will feel rougher than the old type due to comb wear. If you get it less than anything but perfect, you'll probably switch to a different razor for the remainder of the shave. The thin cap old type shares the same head type.

Terry likes this.
  11. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Yea, well, maybe...
    I'm not afraid of any of these tools.
    I'm just wanted to put them in an order as to not put my personal preferences into the mix.
    I decided to use them in the order that you posted above, but starting out with the one that doesn't have a handle, seeing I opened it up first.
    So I'll get to the single ring, but in order of their appearance now.

I really like the first one, and if you can get one slanted that you would sell, I'm interested.

Thanks!
    tp

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Next up....
    I have this one loaded and ready soon after this mornings shave.

I'm not sure how it will shave, but I'm wanting to find out.

20201006_125937.jpg
    A new Feather blade is the weapon of choice, of course.
    Not sure about what suds will be brought out, just yet.

Till Wednesday.

tp

13. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    My recommendation is to try several handles on that one. The one on it is "heavy enough," but it really shines with a heavier handle. If you use a tech handle, or other light handle, it's very mild.

14. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Good morning hard luck slanties.
    Well I didn't have time for a report yesterday so here is a double.

Post-war rectangle slot Tech Slant w/PAA brass handle
    20201007_061935.jpg
    As a good tech goes this one is mild and easy going.
    No issues other than even with a new Feather blade it's just to mild for me.
    I get a good shave so to speak but to get clean and smooth like I like it takes to many passes.
    5 or 6 passes and a clean up is to many.
    No issues other than a bit of irritation on the neck due to the passes required.
    No redness, just normal old passes iritation.
    The blade looses good cutting action by the end, but that's to be expected.

20201008_072632.jpg

Pre-war triangle slot, fat handle, Tech Slant.

Same as the razor above.
    No real difference other than this one seems milder.
    I don't like trying to get smooth two days in a row with a mild razor.
    I get more irritation on the neck and face.
    But to give it a good try, I want to get to where I like to be.

These two razors aren't bad, nothing wrong with the way they shave at all.
    I just like a more efficient razor tool to get the job done.
    Tech's don't scratch the itch, and these, although good razors, aren't to my liking.
    The slanting didn't seem to do anything for the efficiency.

Next up....

The single ring slant.
    Been waiting for this one.

Oh and, different weighted handles never did anything for me.
    Well, other than balancing out the razor for my morning head shave.
    Thanks Ryan!

Till Friday!.....

tp

Enrico, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Not every razor is for every person, even if I'd like them to be. :)

brit, Terry and twhite like this.
  16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I totally agree!
    That's why I've acquired almost 200 razors of different type, age and brand.

PLANofMAN and brit like this.
  17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Hello all on this great Friday!
    Well another slant for show and tell today.

20201009_124137.jpg
    A Single Ring Slanted as far as I can tell it's 1918 vintage.
    It was as I expected a wonderful shave.
    Not sure if the slanting did anything for the efficiency or not.
    I'm quite satisfied on how it shaves.
    I'm clean and smooth, only issue is a weeper from a bump on the neck, that's no more.
    I know Ryan said these we only trial runs, not good enough for sale, well... I'd buy this one.
    I like efficient blade holders and this one fits the bill.

Till tomorrow....
    tp

Enrico, brit and twhite like this.
  18. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well hi all!
    In to another slant this morning.
    A Cosmo German 4-piece travel slant. 20201010_111707.jpg
    Seeing this is a travel razor, I pulled out my travel bag and got the brush and soap that I have in there for such things.
    A new Feather blade, 3 passes head and face.
    This razor is about medium when it comes to efficient. I got a better shave with this one compared to the techs, but nothing like the single ring.
    No issues or leakage of any sort.
    I'm ok smooth and clean for a Saturday.
    I didn't go all out to get really smooth because I know where this stands.
    Nothing wrong with this razor, it shaved just fine.
    I just like a more efficient razor.
    Well almost through them all.
    One more and this trial is done.
    Till tomorrow.
    Thanks!
    tp

PLANofMAN, Enrico and twhite like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It's obvious you like the more aggressive/blade feel razors. Hopefully I'll have a red tip slant for you to try soon.

The German 4 piece razors tend to be fairly mild razors to begin with, compared to most other open comb razors of the era. The caps are thinner than even the thin old type caps, and are just a tad bit wider, usually. They almost all have a slightly wider base with longer teeth than the old type. As a slant, they are mild and comfortable, with very little blade feel. Most people prefer them to the old types. It's just the people who like blade feel...
    *cough* @Terry *cough* @twhite *cough*
    ...who won't like those. Sorry, had a coughing fit there.

The single ring is no longer included in the pass-around. It was just in there for looks anyways, and Terry made me an offer I couldn't refuse. In other words, I sold it for I paid for for it. :p

I will at some point add another single ring slant to my personal collection. I feel it is the closest of all the slantified razors to the original goal of the slanting project, which was to replicate an open comb valencia slant. That project has expanded a bit from my original vision.

As they say, "when you are holding a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail."

The Leresche is next up. I predict that he'll like it better than the techs and the german razor, but not as much as the old type and single ring, based on his preferences thus far.

At least one more razor will be headed his way, an old type slant devette, aka "the world's most dangerous razor."

Also potentially joining the pass-around, provided I can slant them, will be some gillette TTO slant razors. Tom mailed off the TTO die base, and I should receive it early next week. Most likely, I'll use it to break a razor, and then we'll figure out what needs to be adjusted from there. :)

Terry likes this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

How does the handle make a razor mild?

PLANofMAN and Terry like this.