Harrar Longberry Coffee

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I won an auction online for some coffee - four pounds of it to be exact.

The description is as follows:

============================================================
    "4 Pounds of the amazingly special Ethiopia Harrar Longberry Coffee.
    Roasted when you order - and sent via Priority Mail from our facility in Edinboro, Pennsylvania.

This one is extremely rare.
    This Dry Processed bean is from the Harrar region of Ethiopia and has a strong flavor of sweet blueberries. Not your every day mug of coffee by any means!! When people talk about "Specialty Coffee" this is the very sort of thing they are talking about. You're never going to find something like this in a grocery store or chain coffee shop. We do NOT flavor it. This is just how it naturally tastes. It's extraordinarily sweet and fruity.

This crop was received in the USA in June 2014.

Dry Processed (Natural) Ethiopians tend to be fruity. Sidamo region coffees might have a strawberry or lemon taste; Yirgacheffes quite often will have lemon or peach notes. But the king of them all is the Harrar. A good Harrar has a sweet blueberry taste, with a clean finish and a cocoa note. In the last few years, almost all of the good Harrars have been bought up by the Saudi Royal Family who can outbid pretty much the whole rest of the world. Finding a nice Harrar in the USA has become about as elusive as seeing Bigfoot (you hear rumors and people claim to have run into it....but all the stories seem to dry up when you look into it....)

But we just got one......

So if you ever had a mug of Harrar Horse, Harrar Longberry, Ethiopia Harrar (all three names are for the same bean) you wouldn't have forgotten it. It's such an amazingly special treat of a coffee. Don't miss your chance to have it again.

$44 value. I'll even give you free shipping. We want to share this coffee with as many people as possible while it is in season."

============================================================

So....I ended up winning the four pounds for $15.50 (and free shipping).
    The seller is a small company in Pennsylvania and from the communication I've already had with them they seem to be very passionate about their coffee.

Anyone tried this "Harrar" before?

I must admit I'm rather excited to give it a try when it gets here!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I recall having a Ethiopian Harrar several years ago via Sweet Marias green beans ($$). I roasted per the recommendations—not quite Full City—and found it on the brighter side, clean on the palette, but overwhelmingly 'blueberry-ish.' An acquired taste—at least in this household. My wife couldn't abide it, so I had the whole pot to myself.

I look forward to reading your review of this.

RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

My fear is that I'll hate it and be stuck with 4 lbs of it :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've never heard of it, but anything at that price is a steal. I hope it's good!

RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

True...at $3.80 per pound, freshly roasted it'a good deal..as long as I like it :)

6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Even if you don't like it, it's still a really good deal.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As do I.
    However, I have had so many varieties over the years from Sweet Maria's and Coffee Bean Corral that I don't remember the flavor profile. I'll go out on a limb and say I enjoyed it as I have found I do favor the African coffees.

8. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

I've had some from The Roasterie before. As Kevin said, it does have some fruitiness to it as I recall.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm no coffee connoisseur, sounds good. I just received a bag of Kati Kati. It's fantastic! Let us know how it is. Great score!

Mr. Shaverman likes this.