Harry's Products

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Amalia, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Amalia

Amalia New Member

What do you guys think about Harry's products? I'm thinking about giving them as Christmas presents this year. Should I?

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of that product line myself. But I'm sure someone here has and will reply soon.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hello Amalia,
    Harry's products will probably not get a ringing endorsement here. I am not saying that they are bad; I am saying MOST of us have moved away from multi-blade cart razors. Personally, I used the 2, 3, 4 AND 5 blade cart razors for quite a few years, combined with canned goo. Again, millions of shavers use these products, with success, but what we traditional wet-shavers have discovered with DE razors, straights, shave soaps/brushes is the "pleasure" of the once mundane daily chore is back.
    Now, finding the right gifts for your friends might prove challenging. Are you going to try to convert them to a more traditional shave? I am curious as to what products you use and what your friends use? Having that information might help us better help you.

BaylorGator, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  4. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Primo put it very well. Harry's is a huge step up from an electric razor and $2 per cartridge is still a lot better than what Gillette offers.

But it still doesn't compare well to the much better shave you can get from a safety razor - and you can buy a decent starter razor for under $20 - and blades that work out to under 25 cents each.

RyX and brit like this.
  5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive used Harrys in the past. Theyre good razors but I find that the blades are a bit too close together, so the razor fills up with cream lately. Id completley disagree that you get a better shave with a safety razor, I find the shave to be pretty equal and the cart is easier to use but thats just me. Honestly, I feel like my Mach 3 gives me closer and more comfortable shaves that any DE does.
    Harrys isnt bad for what it is and for the price though. IMO, Gillette makes a better product but its also more expensive. For me, if its only a different of $10 a month, I want the better product.

RyX and brit like this.
  6. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

DE razors FTW. ;);)

RyX and brit like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't know Harry's business model - monthly subscription? In today's Information Age choice reigns over someone else choosing for you. Joseph @Primotenore's words encapsulated the reason many of us are here at TSD.
    Rather than going to Walmart (or Harry's) and picking from the product line their Corporate buyers have selected, we Wet Shavers collectively test and sample thousands of vintage, artisan, and prototype products. While we might mostly agree on a few products, there are Mavericks that get way off the path and use some pretty odd ball software & hardware.

If I was to suggest a shopping list for your friends, I'd consider their choice of cologne. Good chances there's a matching or similar shave soap & aftershave. Add a shave bowl (good for beginners) and an inexpensive yet attractive boar shave brush (Yaqi!). If they are amazed at the great face feel of the soap and AS & the exfoliation of the brush, then go antique shopping either on Ebay or IRL for a vintage DE razor come next birthday.

I've set up a couple friends & family with The Whole Deal. Few switch from throw away Bic disposables and Edge Gel. Shavevangelism is a tough business.

jgreenepa and brit like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    FTW :signs002:

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm a little acronymly challenged, but fairly certain it means "For The Win!"

brit, Primotenore and kfbrady like this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you Rick. I am "Acronymly" challenged. Is that word? :signs002:

Tinmantoo and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

We've both used it. As far as I'm concerned it's a perfectly cromulent word.
    I was concerned about verbifying a noun, but it turns out that's the job of an adjective!

12. brit

brit in a box

i like bowl lathering the most..i only draw from the puck with hard soaps,others i add croap/cream to the bowl...

RyX likes this.
  13. Lord Gillette

Yup it means for the win. You don't play video games, right? :D:D

RyX likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I believe in certain circles it's had a prior history as a disparaging counter culture epithet."(four letter word) the world"? But there's Ladies present so I'll leave it at that. ;)

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Look at my Avatar friend...

RyX likes this.
  16. Badgerstate

Fallout isnt just a video game, its a way of life. I fully expect Fallout 76 to monoplize my free time the same way that Fallout 4 did.

RyX likes this.
  17. Lord Gillette

CSGO is better. You learn to swear in different languages. Especially Russian.

RyX likes this.
  18. Badgerstate

I'll admit, I had to look that one up. Im good on that one, I'll stick to COD and Battlefield. I'll be interested to see how Fallout 76 works with it being multiplayer though. Im so used to being all alone in the wasteland, its going to be weird to see other people running around. I imagine it will be much like Destiny is.

RyX likes this.
  19. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

I read this with interest. Heretofore, prior to growing my "Santa beard", I used most any old thing as long as it was cheap and easy. But a day or so since discovering you folks and reading some of these posts, it has opened up a whole new world for me. I'm looking forward to trying new things. We have in our town, a wife/husband pair that opened up a handmade soap shop and had great success to the point they bought an old hardware store across the street from them, renovated it and moved their operation into that. They make, I think, shaving soaps in addition to beard oils and other products. I may have to take a look there with an eye toward shaving soap, etc.

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very cool. You might discover The Next Big Thing! Cultivate that relationship, offer to be a tester, and buy something. Let us know how it goes, drop a link if you want.

Tapatalk Spam Tag

brit likes this.