Harry's Razors - Great Price, Poor Shave.

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Charlton Heston, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Charlton Heston

Charlton Heston New Member

After being bombarded by radio ads and banner ads for months, I finally broke down and spent $3 for my "free" trial. Did my second shave today with my "free" Harry's razor. My bride walked into the bathroom just as I was finishing and she asked me if I'd been in a fight. The single-edge trimmer blade is the worst - pulled lots of blood around my 'stache. The multi-blade side pulls dramatically, too, instead of cutting cleanly. I'm pretty sure I would have done better shaving with a weed whacker. I called Harry's and they refunded my trial and the blade pack they sent out Monday. If you have any sort of a tough, full beard, pass on Harry's. Great customer service and awesome packaging, but very poor hardware performance. My sons in high school still have pretty soft beards so these cheap Harry's blades will probably work OK for them.
    My shaving plan is this...
    1. Wash face with olive oil soap.
    2. Rub vitamin E oil into beard.
    3. Apply Cremo shave cream
    4. Shave with Gillette Fusion blade.
    5. Upon completion, dry blade thoroughly and spray with WD-40 (this is the most important step for preserving and extending blade life.)
    6. Change to new Gillette Fusion blade on the first of every month.
    Glad to be of help here.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Harry's and the like are designed for the masses. In that respect I think they preform as advertised. Not my cup of tea but for the average busy guy - not a bad deal. Regarding heavy beards there are some very good DE blades that can't hack it. The good thing though is there is a large selection of DE blades, one thing none of the carts can match.

3. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Oh I don't know about that! There are carts from 2 to 7 blades at a variety of blade angles, with or without blade flex, with or without vibrators, with or without lube strips and with or without pivoting. I'm pretty sure in that mix there is a cart for anyone and everyone. I've used SE, DE and carts and frankly they all depend on blade or cart selection just as much as technique and lather for the best performance. The biggest difference between them is in the mind of the user.

Eeyore likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Hmmm....

PickledNorthern and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I understand why some would use alcohol or barbaside, but WD 40 seems like it would not be the best thing should you get a cut or nick.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

Displacing water from the blade I can see as an important step for preserving and extending blade life. Dip it in rubbing alcohol or pat it dry with a towel.

I Gotta agree with everyone about the WD-40. Why...?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. Charlton Heston

Charlton Heston New Member

Simple, really. WD-40 is a lightweight water displacer (thus, the WD.) And the residue is easily washed off in hot water at the next shave. And since the key to preserving blades is keeping the micro rust pits from forming, WD-40 is the most logical choice. Dipping in alcohol is a good idea of there is no humidity in the environment where you razor is stored, but if you store you razor in the bathroom, then you have the humidity problem.
    Is there anything else I can clear up for anyone tonight?

gzp, CarlfromMO and Keithmax like this.
  9. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

why do I have a feeling the contracted the blades to Timor or merkur?

10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

They are manufactured by Feintechnik aka Croma or by Lords.

11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

WD-40 turns to glue, eventually. I've seen a stainless semi-auto locked up 'cuz the guy (a "police detective" no less) cleaned his duty weapon by hosing it down with that stuff.

I'd use Break-free, myself.

12. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

For the price of a fusion 4 pack, I can get 200 DE blades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

178-bplatoon likes this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Good to know :sick002:

Jerry-built Hustler and Eeyore like this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

200 blades...
    Three years and 10 months of shaves for me.
    Works for me.

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Harry's bought the Feintechnik factory for 100 million. Harry's makes Harry's.

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Yes, most are aware of that. No, Feintechnik have outsourced production at times.

17. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

And for a quarter, you can call someone who actually gives a crap.

LevelupShaves and Sabre like this.
  18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And good morning to you, too.

LevelupShaves and Karl G like this.
  19. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I got great shaves when I was using Harry's. It was better than Dollar Shave Club. Each face is different.

If I hadn't tried DE razors, I would still be a happy Harry's shaver.

BigMark83 likes this.
  20. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

It's got fish oil in it too. I wouldn't use it on my blades.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.