Hart Steel Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Seems I'm coming to this thread bit late but here is my $0.02. I have 2 Hart Steels that I alternate between, a 5/8 satin finish round and a 5/8 barber's notch (though it measures closer to 6/8). Both have plain black resin scales. I really enjoy the shave I get with them. I have read some negative reviews from users with a lot more experience than me, but don't see any issue with the two examples I have. Admittedly I have limited experience with straights, having crossed to the dark side for a brief 16 months ago and don't have experience with any other to compare against... but these have kept my acquisition disorder in check, for razors anyway... though I splurged on soaps in February.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Any pics??

oscar11 and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

If you are happy with them that is all that counts. I am sceptical of reviews I read on other sites, they tend to be glowing or extremely negative. As you can see on this thread there are some of us very happy with our Hart razors.

4. Martin-j

I do, but I lack the tech skill to reduce the file size to meet the server requirements.

Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  5. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The reason for the wide variation with the reviews is due to the history of the brand

During the rollout and into the second year the bevel angle was set at about 13-14° this lead to very harsh edges and people had to learn that to get the best out of the razor it required 2-3 layers of tape to bring the angle into an acceptable range that stopped the edge from shredding

After that, the grinders settled in and the angle was closer to 15° the three grinders got very good at what they were doing and the Hart produced really good steel

More recently all the grinders moved on except maybe one and I am not sure if even he was there after 2016, the finish of the steel dropped again and the quality of the shave dropped a notch but they are still better than the first run models

So it actually wasn't a whim of the people reviewing the razors it was a difference in the razor production :)

This is what I know about them over the years,,

Karl G, DrStrange, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

As for the Blade Makers, listed by @rs_776 , what was the quality of the razors they produced, while making Hart Steel Razors??

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  7. Martin-j

Let's see if this works...

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Martin-j

Clearly that didn't work. Where can I find the image restrictions for the site? I reduced the dpi, which reduced the size of the file considerably, but it seems it's still too big. Any guidance or ideas are welcome.

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

reduce by 50% works for me.

Martin-j, Billyfergie and brit like this.
  10. Martin-j

11. Martin-j

Wow, it appears to have worked!

gssixgun and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Martin-j

However, reducing the resolultion with the free app put those weird hatch lines on the edge of the steel.

oscar11 and Billyfergie like this.
  13. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Honestly, I never had any problem with them, I read the edge before honing and hone accordingly, I can't count how many I have honed over the years, and they all shave and hold the edge just so long as you read the bevel correctly..

The issues come in when inexperienced honers can't read the edge, like honing in general :D "Honing is easy until it isn't" I wonder what smart good looking SOB said that :p

When I get questions about them from owners my instant response is "Add a layer of tape and try again" that pretty much always solves the issue :)

Karl G, basil, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Thanks Glen. I'm into Vintage razors, but, for the price, I couldn't pass the one produced by AJ.

Karl G, Keithmax, oscar11 and 2 others like this.
  15. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Based on the logo, it looks like one of their earlier pieces. As for being true to size, it is really hard to tell. Based on the aspect ratio, you may be correct that it is a 5/8 and not a 6/8. It is definitely a nice piece and does not appear to have much hone wear. I think it will be a decent shaver.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Hart Steel, by JA.

Well, it came in, today. It was a little bit of a let down. These are primitive made razors. The steel is very nice, and reminds me of Swedish Steel. But, the lines are basic, and since it is mirror shined, one wave could be seen in the metal. This razor also came with a tiny nick, in the toe end, not the fault of the maker, I hope. No worry, because I rarely use the toe area. But, the edge was a little dull, and looks like the factory bevel hadn't been messed with. It wasn't tree topping hairs. The razor looks like it hadn't touched a stone, and the previous owner just gave up on it, after it dulled. So, I did about 15 strokes on the pasted strop, 35 on the linen, and 35 on the leather. It was now passing the HHT except for about 1/2 inch of the toe. I gave it a shave anyway, and it was mediocre. It needs some work on my Welsh Slate Stones. For what I paid, I'm not complaining, too much. I would like to figure out what size hex wrench I need to tighten the Sorry Looking scales.

P4300926.JPG

M14Shooter, BigMark83, rs_776 and 5 others like this.
  17. Martin-j

I thought I had my acquisition disorder under control until I started reading and contributing to this thread. I came across this on eBay last week and on a whim bid on it and to my surprise I won. it is anything but ready to shave, but I'm not complaining considering what I paid for it... beside being dull it is in really good condition.

20190509_135912.jpg

Keithmax, DaltonGang and rs_776 like this.
  18. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking blade! No noticeable hone wear, and I'm sure it will be a great shaver once you put a keen edge on it.

Also FYI, if you decide you'd like different scales, you can get them at classicshaving or smallflower for about $25.

Keithmax likes this.
  19. Martin-j

Thank you and thank you for the tip on Classic Shaving. They seem to be the goto vendor for Harts.

I just spent some time carefully going through the progression of stones 1K up to 12K and then a Cr2O3 pasted linen strop, followed by leather. Based on it's ability to pluck hair off my arm without skin contact, I believe it's going to shave well.

What's interesting is the seller listed this as 6/8 and when I measure it, it's closer to 7/8. This is the same as my "5/8" Hart with the Spanish point (see previous image), which is closer to 6/8. Am measuring wrong or missing something?

Keithmax and rs_776 like this.
  20. DaltonGang

Well, I finally tightened the scales. It wasn't a Hex Wrench, but a T5 Torx Bit. Snug as a bug.

Keithmax, Martin-j and rs_776 like this.