Hart Steel Straights on sale

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Keithmax, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Classic Shaving has Hart Steel razors at big discount, starting at $150. I already own two and I'm trying to thin the den so not buying one.... But wanted to let my den brothers know about the deal.

Bama Samurai and Karl G like this.
  2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I looked them up. Some of Those razors are $139. That's looks like a really sweet deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Keith, How would you compare the Hart to the PRC?

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I know the question wasn't directed at me. :)
    I've seen both in person. Both exhibit the same level of quality. PRC goes more avant garde while Hart leans toward the traditional straight razor appearance. As for the shaves (which is what I suspect you were really asking about), I'll leave that for Keith to answer.

Keithmax and mrchick like this.
  5. mrchick

Thanks. I like the looks of the 6/8 hart square point quite a bit. It is only available in satin, but I could live with that.

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

20160505_091329-1~2.jpg
    I had the privilege of using one for a few months and they are nice quality blades. Solid feel and paired with a good edge, they gave some great results. The grind is not very hollow, so I found it to be more of a silent assassin.

Straight razor dandy and mrchick like this.
  7. Keithmax

The PRC razors look more refined while Harts look more rugged.

Both razors take and hold a great edge but I give a slight edge to PRC but it's probably just in my head. The Hart razors feel just a bit heavier plus they use a hex nut for the pin allowing you to adjust the tightness. Hart seems to have a slight thicker grind.

I own 3 PRC and 2 Hart razors and I am not letting any of them go, I am very satisfied with all of them. I'm am trying to resist not buying another.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Inspired by the questions in this thread I decided to take my Hart Steel 6/8 out of the refresh holding bin and shave with it. I usually refresh my edges before they need it because life is to short of a less than optimal shave.... or I am OCD.

My Hart 6/8 has nicer scales and feels like it shaves just a hair better than the 7/8, but it could be just mind games or likely just my honing. I guess the razor new it was representing for the Hart brand. The razor was very smooth and still sharp, I guess it really did not need a refresh. Four passes resulting in an outstanding shave. Zero irritation and BBS.

I would have to put this Hart 6/8 shave on a par with my PRC razors.

I don't want to open a debate about vintage versus modern razors but for a good quality modern razor these are very good prices. I admit that I prefer modern razors.
    ID - 1.jpg ID - 2.jpg

mrchick and JR Reyes like this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Hart steel is very high quality. Generally speaking, I find that the better made modern straight razors are overall better than the vintage ones. This is my 8/8 Hart steel SR:

Screenshot_2016-09-16-22-31-14.png Screenshot_2016-09-16-22-30-49.png

10. Keithmax

I caved and demonstrated poor impulse control, I ordered a 7/8 round tip. I justified this by telling myself it is a replacement for my square point 7/8. I guess that means I will need to find the square point a good home.

Drygulch, mrchick and JR Reyes like this.
  11. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

What was wrong with the square?

12. mrchick

I'll PM you my address

Keithmax likes this.
  13. Keithmax

Nothing wrong with it at all. I prefer round points and sometimes I nick myself with square or spike points.

JR Reyes likes this.
  14. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

Do they come really shave ready?

15. Keithmax

I am not sure, I bought both razors second hand.

lloydrm likes this.
  16. lloydrm

Thanks.
    That is a pretty good price drop and is still up today. I wonder what is behind.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

...the 'better-made' vintage ones or vintages in general? ;)

This 7/8 square point (but in bocote) is tempting for less than $175...

SafariScreenSnapz970.jpg

…but probably too similar to one of my favorite vintage SRs to take the leap…
    [​IMG]

18. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

After all, the better made modern straights have little to no wear. Many of the vintage ones have 50, 100, 150, or even 200 years or more of wear.

I suppose it isn't a fair comparison.

Of course, if the vintage SR is expertly and freshly honed, I guess it would even things out more.

Keithmax likes this.
  19. lloydrm

Then you have the NOS vintage and the discussion of vintage vs modern goes on and on ...
    Fortunately there is a straight (;)) foward solution: get one of each and choose what works best for you.

Ps: all razors above are amazing eye candy.

mrchick likes this.
  20. Keithmax

I also prefer modern to vintage but I do I have two vintage razors that made the cut.

I broke down and bought a 7/8 round point. Yes it did come shave ready but I will touch it after two shaves and try to fine tune the edge.
    IMG_9185.jpg