Has anyone ever put a size limit to their den?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by grump, Sep 28, 2010.

1. grump

grump Well-Known Member

Alright,
    has anyone ever tried to put a limit on the amount of items or brands in their den?

I have and here it is:

Creams - 0
    Soaps - 5 brands
    Brushes - 7
    DE Razors - 14
    Straights - 14
    Aftershaves -14

Disclaimer: I may have a few of one brand of the aftershaves and soaps

I have found a number of razors that I enjoy.

I have tried many many items(part of the fun) to finding what you like or what works for you.

Have you set a limit for whatever reason, big or small, to the size of your den?

2. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

At one point I told myself that I wanted everything to fit inside my medicine cabinet. I gave up on that though.

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I don't have an official limit, but keep it small enough that everything sees action on a reasonably regular basis.
    Soap + Creams = 5-10 depending on how many things have recently been finished and how long it has been since the last order
    DE/SE Razors = 12 right now, generally growing trend. First time I don't feel a need for more. Might see one or two come in and one or two leave in the future.
    Brushes = 6 for now. Don't think I'll let this grow much, if at all. Might be a couple swap-outs in future. Big boar or Silvertip coming in and small boar brushes leaving.
    After-shaves = 3-6 so far, but this is one area I could see expanding. I keep mostly TSD splashes and I haven't branched out much as they work so well.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

As long as I do not have to rent a storage room I am in good shape.. I can not set limits like that there are too many things I like.

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I tried to stick with just one of everything, it never works... :happy102

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Same here.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am only limited by the money available to buy stuff...

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Tried, can't do it. My wife hasn't complained so I guess expansion is in the future.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I try to keep mine limited to what I use on a regular basis.

Right now it is 3 DE razors, 2 injectors, 4 brushes, a handful of soaps and aftershaves. The only place where my hoarding has become out of control is with blades. I have enough right now for the next decade.

10. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

That's about where I started. I've noticed my definition of "regular basis" has slowly changed.

11. chadstar

chadstar Member

Mine is like a bed of flowers, I put stuff in and watch it grow with delight. Might have to curb it when her indoors starts moaning but until then theres so much out there it would be rude to leave it on the shelf baby!!!:D

12. sffone

sffone Member

+1+1 I have even started to store things in my workshop because of having filled all available space inside my home -- "available space" defined as the space SWMBO allows me to have for my stuff.

13. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

Mine is already getting out of control but I am trying to slow it down. I keep telling myself no more razors. I am only allowed to buy soap/cream, blades, and after shave as I know they do run out.

There is 1 maybe 2 razors I would not mind picking up but taking my time lol.

14. ShavedZombie

ShavedZombie Member

I didn't plan on setting a limit, but lately I've realized that I have almost 15 strops, and that I only use 7-8 of them, which led me to realize the same with brushes... I've never really been a razor hoarder... I have 8, and that's where I'm staying. If it's not as good as the worst of those 8, I see no reason to keep another (and the worst of my current rotation is either a Geneva Stag Emblem, or a Greaves and Sons)

I'm trying to let some strops and brushes go... But its hard... I don't want to limit the size, but I don't want to keep things I don't use... What a dillemma ;)

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Those of us who are Pack Rats know two things:

1) There is no reason why we need to have it, keep it, or to get more. We just do.

B) There is always room someplace, somewhere, to put it.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I prided myself on being frugal, self-controlled, self-suffcient, rational; and this hobby ended that illusion .

I have set limits a number of times and somehow accumulated more stuff.

Its the pleasure of the shaving hobby that makes it so addictive. The idea that I would run out of shaving goods, and had to hoard them is related to how much I enjoy them. The idea that the addicted endlessly repeat the same action, in this case buying more shaving stuff, to repeat the feeling that the action gives is also part of not setting limits.

On the other hand , its perfectly harmless to accumulate soap, cream, old razors etc. , even if not based in absolute consumer rationality, that one might have too much gear doesn't really harm anyone or anything.

17. mandoman

mandoman Member

just rebuy what i run out of running out of space :cool:

18. sffone

sffone Member

Amen, brother!!!!!!!!:D

19. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Not as such, I'm allowing the gradual loss of interest to do it for me.

I'm looking for one specific razor (Schick type O) to add to my collection, when I have that, no plans to buy any others.

I have plenty of everything else. Possibly enough spare blades for life, and other consumables, such as soaps, enough for years at least. It's not that I've made any resolution against buying more; at this point, I really don't want anything, and don't see that changing.

If I did make a resolution against my inclinations, I might break it. Most of us, however, probably do reach the point where no willpower is required.

Which doesn't mean I've lost interest in this hobby. I just want to enjoy what I've got.

20. at this moment I have: 5 brushes, a razor blade super iridium 500, 15 after-shave, soaps 5, 6 pre-shave and after an unspecified number of foam ...