Hash Brown and Egg Casserole

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Bronco, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Description:
    This is my family's recipe that has been handed down through the years. Don't know who we borrowed it from. This casserole is a nice and cozy breakfast or brunch meal that everyone will enjoy. It's got the perfect taste with lots of cheese. Yum! Be sure to use a baking dish that is deep enough to cover with aluminum foil.

Time: 15 minute prep
    Difficulty: Easy
    Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:
    * 1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
    * 1 pound pork sausage
    * 1 small onion, diced
    * 5 eggs
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    * 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    * salt and ground black pepper to taste
    * 12 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

Preparation:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Place the hash brown potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish.
    Note: If ya like the maple flavor of some sausage, try it, kicks it up a knotch.

Instructions:
    1. Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook and stir the sausage and onion until the sausage is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink; drain. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and pour over the potatoes. Layer with half the Cheddar cheese, the sausage mixture, and the remaining Cheddar cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
    2. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove cover; return casserole to the oven and bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, about 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

2. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Sounds like good stuff to me!

3. tclevela

tclevela New Member

I don't want to offend, but!

Potatoes mixed with onions and then fried? Perfect!
    Eggs and Sausage? They should each be cooked alone.
    Which would leave you with true Potato Hash Browns PLUS sausage PLUS eggs!

I do not approve of mixing all the breakfast items together.
    That recipe falls into the category of casserole.
    To me all casseroles are just wrong! Dumping everything together isn't the answer to "quick cooking" breakfast.

Variety is the spice of life! Don't rush a meal, cook it separately and enjoy the combination!

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Explains the title of the recipe. :rolleyes:

I like to combine foods. Green bean casserole isn't as good separated. Beans here, cream of mushroom soup over there, french fried onions in their own little place. ;)

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Steve! I'll have to try thus some time.

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

:drool :eatdrink020 :drool

wow...just wow. That sounds great! Thanks for sharing Steve!

I'm a food mixer, too. The best, IMO, is taking meat loaf, mashed potatoes, and peas....mix them all together with the meat loaf gravy....heaven!

6. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Looks great! I'll have to try this one next weekend! :D

Jordan

7. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Thanks for sharing! That made a great brunch. It being a rainy day I was bored and hungry so decided to give it a go.

I ended up using about half of everything you said. A little less than a pound of frozen hash browns (all we had), half a pound of maple sausage, 4 eggs and the rest I followed exactly. It was a popular dish amongst the kids and wife.

Attached Files:

• hec.jpg
      hec.jpg
      File size:
      172.4 KB
      Views:
  8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oh man....that looks even yummier than it sounded! :drool

9. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

It's YUMMMYYYYYYYY I made it for brunch today! Try this one! Drizzle with salsa for a different kick to it.

10. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Great! Glad you are all enjoyin it. Well, most of you! :D