Have you ever used a brand of blades you couldn't get AT LEAST 3 good shaves from?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tazorac, Apr 22, 2017.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

We all know all razor blade brands aren't created equal...I've never used them but allegedly DERBY is suppose to be really bad. I've somewhat new to DE shaving as I've done it for about 3 years now. I've only used Dorco, Personna, and Astra so far. I can get about 5 good shaves with Astra and about 3 with Dorco, could get about 4 with Personna.

So what brand did you get the least amount of good shaves from?

2. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I can get about 6 shaves out of my DERBY EXTRAs.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Rainbow. I got a couple in a sampler pack, and it was worse than using 100 grit sandpaper.

4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

VDH "Ice tempered" blades. One shave and I went and bought some Wilkinson Sword at Bed Bath & Beyond. I had been warned but did it anyway.

ninjack, '65 G-Slim and John Beeman like this.
  5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

It could have been I was rushing but after 3 shaves with Gillette Plat plus I got a little chewed up and went to a new blade. My beard does grow pretty thick and fast.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

The Dollar General / Family Dollar blades, made in Korea. Two shaves and I toss, generally. Voskhod - at the third, I chunked it.

7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Derby. Two shaves, the second being mediocre. I know some folks are good with them but I won't be buying them again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Yes,

The Gillette Yellow "SharpEdge" blade happens to be the best blade for my antique 1907 Old Type Razor, but I only get 3 high quality shaves from this perfect combination. The 4th shave I get pulling and drag. I confirmed this with 3 straight blades now. I have tried 5 other blades and none of them shave with the Old Type as good as the Gillette Yellow "SharpEdge", but, again I only get 3 highly comfortable shaves from it. I'm hoping to try some more different blades types soon such as:
    Pol-Silver Super Iridium
    Personna Med Prep
    BiC Chrome-Platinum
    Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Voskhod Teflon Coated

9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

In my NEW SC, GSB's work the best. I get a week's worth of shaves, and it handles weekday stubble like a champ.

brit likes this.
  10. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Zorrik. Out of a five pack I had to throw 2 away during their first use. Sections of the blades weren't sharpened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I get 2 shaves out of Personna Lab Blues before they start to tug. With VDH blades I get 1 shave.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I used a Derby for 21 consecutive shaves, 17 for a Gillette Silver Blue. Blade life is highly related to the angle of attack employed by the user. This is one of the very few time since that ymmv actually is used correctly In discussing shaving. Honestly, after I had a year of experience, I found there are no "bad blades", they all work for shaving just fine. However, some are sharper and smoother than others, to be sure. In a practical sense though, blades are inexpensive enough that as long as they provide 3-5 good days, I am ok with it.

brit, Tdmsu, ninjack and 2 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

What razor design? I've found Derby only shines brightly in razors that are more aggressive than 7 on a FB dial. I am not a Derby apologist, but sometimes feel they suffer undue blame. If you're using a mild razor like a Tech or an 89, I agree, not really sharp enough to be fun.

14. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with someone liking a blade that is not my favorite, so no worries there. It was in a Merkur 34C. I haven't tried one in my Fatboy, but generally use it on setting 5.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Sergio Avalos

Sergio Avalos Member

Rainbow has been the worst performer for me out of the 24 different blades I've used. I toss them after one use. It's the same experience with each of my seven razors. Sputnik is my second worst performer as lasting for only two uses.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Derby and Dorco have probably been the worst blades for my face and technique.:)

17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Topaz Platinum from India.

I consider most blades good for a bare minimum of 5 to 7 shaves, dumping most within that range just for the simplicity of doing a weekly blade change. Some I have run for a lot longer than that when trying to see how long I could get a blade to last.

Topaz Platinum I consider good for a maximum of 3 shaves with the third starting to get tuggy or rough (or tuggier and rougher.) I now dump them after the second shave. I bought a 100-pack for dirt cheap, but now I know why they were dirt cheap, and I can't wait to use them all up.

I am using them as my test blade while I try all the creams and soaps now in my inventory, because a consistently rough blade provides a good test of the lather's protective qualities. They are a very good blade for that; if you just want a nice shave, not so much.

18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Derby is a fine blade. No problem there. Now Merkur blades...they are like shaving with the lid from a tin can. I don't know what it is about these blades...I just can't get a smooth shave...unless I got myself a bad batch? :signs131:
    Any one else out there with this experience?

Screwtape likes this.
  19. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

In a local forum, they have a thread for every single blade, where you can read opinions of shavers that go years back. Merkur has one of the most consistent opinions: Dull, rigid, overpriced, consistent quality, lasts at least 4 shaves. It seems that it's good only for those who find Derbys good (what a coincidence), but everyone with tough beard or dense beard hates them. I don't intend to buy them. They seem to be the "german Derby".

EDIT: I am looking at a shop here: 10 Merkur: 6.50 EUR. 100 Astra SP: 7.70. Conclusion: There is no possible reason on earth, as to why one should buy Merkur. And imagine, that we are bordering country to Germany, so german blades should come as cheap as possible.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    brit, jtspartan and ninjack like this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, Astras ... both green and blue.