Haward DE razor (EJ89 clone)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Monkeylord, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I haven't done one of these in a long time so bare with me :)

The mailman came today and delivered 2 safety razors ordered from Ali express for the acceptable sum of 11.82$ a piece.
    It came packed individually in a brown carton box marked "Safety razor", along with 4 packs of 5 DE Blades branded simply "Double edge blades"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The handle seems to be brass (judging from the yellowish color soming through the plating on one of the razors), and I presume the head is made of zinc alloy.
    The head seems to be an exact copy of an EJ89 head (at least judging from the pictures online).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The quality of the build is quite good, there are only two casting sprue marks on the bottom plate that are not sanded down smooth before chrome plating.
    [​IMG]
    The razor weighs at around 85 grams, or 2,99 ounces for you heathens not on the metric system yet :D, and is a bit top heavy.
    The knurling on the handle is quite smooth and I would like it to be a bit gripier but it's nice enough.

Of course it would be a shame not to give it a try right away, so I loaded it with a new Wilki blade (I thought it better to test out a new razor with a trusted blade than with the unknown one sent along with it), and face lathered up some Arko with my Semogue 1800.
    It glided through 4 days worth of stuble like a dream, pleasantly audible. The shave itself was excellent I did 2 passes wtg/xtg irritation free with a big grin on my face.

It can be concluded that it's well worth the money and a 2 week wait, even a better investment than my cheappy trusted shavette.
    Next I'm looking at the 2011 r41 head clone :D
    And I hope soon enough I'll do a short review on the no name blades that came with the razor.

PS. sorry for the crappy pics and/or poor choice of words (my English writing skills can be disappointing from time to time)

Daywalker, Hembree and jimjo1031 like this.