Heavier Grinds

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Karl G, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are thicker grinds - wedges, near wedges - a noticeably different shave? With some work I can get a nice close shave with them but the feel is totally different and I always feel like my technique needs to be adjusted or something.

Any thoughts? What’s your experience and do you change your technique with heavier grinds? :signs002:

kjbarth likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have never been able to grasp the difference. Perhaps I am just slow, well, yeah, I am. But I get the difference between a hollow ground and a wedge, just not the thicker vs thinner grinds. Love learning about it though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kjbarth and Karl G like this.
  3. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I have several wedges that I use in rotation with my other razors. I don't change my technique, but shave the same as I do with my other straights. I don't find a difference. I get good shaves from all of them, provided they're properly honed and stropped.

4. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Hi Chris - I’m using heavier and thicker grind to mean less hollow vs more hollow. :happy088:

kjbarth and lightcs1776 like this.
  5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. I have a lot to learn about razors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I’ve had wedges, but they’ve all been punted. I prefer the flexibility of the blades on the hollow ground blades. I don’t like stropping a full wedge either. The wedges don’t make noise either, I do like the singing extra hollow grinds.
    I have a TI that’ll shave closer than all get out, singing the whole time.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    kjbarth, M14Shooter and Karl G like this.
  7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I’ll put a little more slack on the strop, and I probably take the spine away from my face a little more. Basically 2 things that keep the blade face from “sucking” into the leather or skin.

Not big changes, but something I do think about when I pull out a wedge.

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

I’m the same as Tom, except I have a slick Tony Miller fast bridle for the heavies, Alfredo mentioned that he used one for wedges so I decided to try one when a pristine example came up on a BST. They shave just as well as hollows but they do like to stick to your skin, especially if they’re wider.

9. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

When I first tried a heavier grind I was in the same spot. The technique difference is very subtle. Raise the spine a tiny bit further from your skin. Mostly it’s a different shaving experience than a different technique. I switch regularly now and never notice the change, it is very minuscule

Rkep01, kjbarth, SevenEighth and 3 others like this.
  10. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor

Yeppers, I call it "Relaxing on the Tautness" when stropping a Heavy Grind, works pretty darn good huh