Heavy DE'S vs Light DE'S..Short vs Long..do they make a difference?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tazorac, Feb 7, 2017.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Unlike many of you guys I don't have 20 plus DE's, I only have 2, the Shaving Factor Razor, and the Feather DE razor, they both are the same length and weight, but I think the Shaving Factor may shave closer because more of the blade is exposed.

Based on you guys experience, is their really a difference between long vs short DE'S and Short vs Long DE's? Does one shave closer, do you get cut more with one type. Do you prefer one more then other.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RyX likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Length and weight of a handle can have a pretty big effect on the way a razor shaves. The length can change your grip, alter the amount of weight/pressure the head has on your face, the balance point, etc.

The weight affects the same characteristics. A heavier razor basically applies its own pressure, vs a featherweight which often needs the user to add some.

I have no general preference, it all depends on the individual razor.

tuxxdk, jtspartan, swarden43 and 2 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

My preference would be to heavier razors. I would say longer handles, but I like a Fat Boy and it's kind of average length.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I like fat bottom girls ... er I mean heaver shorter razors.

George X, tuxxdk, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  5. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Damn dude.. :happy097::sexe:

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Long, short, heavy, light - they all shave different, not necessarily better or worse, easier or more difficult - just different.
    I've achieved BBS with all my razors.
    You just gotta learn how to use the tools ya got.

RyX, George X, Nate.H01 and 6 others like this.
  7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Weight. size and balance are personal preferences. Some folks love their SS and other's love their Futur.

EnglishChannel, RyX, George X and 2 others like this.
  8. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

100% yes. When I first got my Razorock Mission head I screwed it onto a long/heavy handle, and it tore my face apart. I then screwed it onto a short/light handle and it has become my favorite razor by far. Vice Versa with my Merkur 33c. That razor comes with a short/light handle and it's just not aggressive enough. Once I screwed the Merkur 33c head onto a long/heavy handle, it became far more efficient !!!

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

When I bought the PAA Bakelite Slant, it was an eye opener. Before I received it I had had been using pretty heavy razors with heavy stainless steel handles.

The BAA Bakelite Slant got a short handle (about 7.5cm) and the whole razor is feather light. I have to say that the lightness of the razor improved my shave. I learned what really zero pressure is. Less weight allowed me to have easier control over the razor.

With the other heavier razors, I would need to "lift" the razor to get zero pressure.

I think do not think razors need to be heavy nor having long handles. If a razor begins to "jump" because of how light it is, add a sharper blade and it will slice more than jumping.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    Linuxguile likes this.